1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy New year....

Nightmist blue base.
Super white base.
Matrix Ag 40 Auto Glas High Solid's Clear w/ slow activator.
Tekna gun w/ 1.3 tip.- 1/2 inch hose.

·
Registered
6,815 Posts
Looks great. Which primers and paint did you go with?

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you everyone.

I used Lusid Technologies Northstar black epoxy primer (high build).
Matrix MSB base coat.
Matrix AG-40 High solids clear coat.

The stripes are painted on. Both rocker and Leman's.

After it dry's a while longer, I'll be wet sanding it with 800,1000,1500,2000,2500 grit/wet, then buff and polish. I'll be sure to post the final product shortly.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Looks excellent man! Post pics of it once you get it all sanded and polished out.

Your color is how I expected mine to come out, but they had some trouble with the paint and it ended up coming out a touch more navy blue in the color. I also like your super white stripes.

There are some days I love how mine came out, others I wish it was more traditional Nightmist Blue. Here is how mine came out at the same point. My car post painthttp://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vintage-mustang-forum/663870-like-kid-candy-store.html

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Virtually twins! I saw that post. Your Mustang look's fast just sitting there.

I went with the Super White base because it best match's the rocker stripe decal....if I had used a rocker decal.

I don't really understand how they had trouble with your blue base unless it was a mixing issue. Regardless, it appears that I'm in good company.

·
Registered
610 Posts
They used a light grey primer and after 3 coats of water based PPG it wasn't fully covering and they ran out. So they switched to Transtar solvent based for 2 more coats and it covered it. The PPG was a better match than the TS paint. In the end they should have used black primer. At least in the end I got 5 coats of color and 3 coats of clear.

I am still undecided on the side stripe, but I didn't think about the color difference till afterwards.

Have you been doing all this work yourself?

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I see.

I used black primer also to aid in coverage and 5 coat's of base.

Yes, I do everything from start to finish. Saved plenty of Mustangs over the year's. Some from field's, other's from yard's, plenty from body shop's.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I started the sanding and buffing on the Mustang. Everyone has their own way of sanding and buffing a final finish, this is mine. Be careful.

I start out with 800 grit/wet sanding the length of the body. I continue with 1000,1500,2000,2500. Each grit sanded in an alternate direction. Finishing up the last grit (2500) sanding the length of the body. I make sure I have plenty of clear and I use a firm block called the "Holy Terror" for the first cut. I use a Dura Block soft pad for the rest.

Finishing up. The left side is 2000 grit (sanded left to right) and the right is 2500 (sanded forward and aft).

The wet sanding is completed and the Mustang is washed off from the sanding sludge. I now have a nice smooth semi-gloss finish.

I start buffing using a wool pad on a variable speed buffer. I use 3M rubbing compound.

The first buffing is complete and the body is washed off. I have two more buffing session's to go and this will eliminate the swirls and micro scratch's.

It's all about managing abrasive's.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts