Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone, just wanted to start a post as I am about to start my Edelbrock Performer Heads, Howards Cam, Lunati Roller Tie bar roller rockers, Edelbrock RPM Air Gap and Tri-Y upgrade. I might come back to this post to ask questions. Here is a picture of all the parts and gaskets I have been collecting over 2 yrs and finally started the upgrade today.

Attachments

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgot to mention,I had a 1989 Mustang with over 300HP and a 2007 Mustang which are both gone and I miss that kick in the pants so I decided to upgrade my mostly stock Mustang as I never plan on selling it and want that same kick in the pants. I should be over 300HP with my upgrades.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So first issue is I was going to pull the engine balancer off and put the tool on and I was just able to slide it out without using the tool? Just slid right off, i take it this is not good? I have a replacement already but was wondering what would cause this?

Also found out that my engine has been bored 0.060 over. :( It only runs hot if I am sitting in a line for along period of time. Which brings me to my 2nd question, I found out that my radiator is in bad shape. So I was going to replace it with a 24" instead of the stock 20". I have read that I need a different upper and lower mount. I take it the Fan shroud is different but what about the fan and hoses? Are those different as well?

·
Registered
24 Posts
.060 over is the end. unless this is a numbers matching special rig I would say this is time to pump the brakes and evaluate what you want to do with the engine. It will cost the same to warm up a 351W and you will have a lot more "kick in the seat of the pants" for the same $$$ outside of buying a block.

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
So first issue is I was going to pull the engine balancer off and put the tool on and I was just able to slide it out without using the tool? Just slid right off, i take it this is not good? I have a replacement already but was wondering what would cause this?

Also found out that my engine has been bored 0.060 over. :( It only runs hot if I am sitting in a line for along period of time. Which brings me to my 2nd question, I found out that my radiator is in bad shape. So I was going to replace it with a 24" instead of the stock 20". I have read that I need a different upper and lower mount. I take it the Fan shroud is different but what about the fan and hoses? Are those different as well?
Instead of changing the size and endure it's difficulties, go with a quality replacement aluminum (Griffin, Ron Davis etc. )?

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have a 2 row (1” tubes) from Summit by Northern Radiator with 14” electric fan...my 16” wouldn’t fit. Fan is on via relay with ignition “on” only. Used it with my 289 (.030)/Edelbrock 1406/TCI c4 combo and now with my stock 5.0/factory EFI/T5. Haven’t had any cooling issues about 10 years total now.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Consider what I am doing for my 68 which is a Champion 24" radiator with electric Contour fan controlled by a PWM controller by DC Control.com. I think all in spent about $500 all in. You can get by with a Dodge Caravan fan relay for like $30 if you don't spend the $150 on the constant temp controller from DC Control. If you forgo the more expensive option here the fan will run continuously or by manual switch in cabin.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
I'm running a cheap china 17" 3 row copper radiator that was on my 65 when I bought it 5 years ago. It ran cool with the 289 and just a cool with the 331. Even between runs at an autocross on a 90º day I fire it up and the temp reads under 205º and by the time I get to the start it's around 197º and amazingly cools down even more during the run. It cruises down the road on a 90+º day at 185º using a Motorcraft 192º thermostat. This with the original 4 blade fan. I've never ever had a cooling issue on my first 67 or this 65 Mustang. I wouldn't go hacking sheetmetal until I found the root cause of the cooling problem if one even exists.

Just my 0.02¢

1 - 8 of 8 Posts