Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have an inline-6 '66 Mustang that has been having starter issues for a good 3 years. In the last 3 years, I've had to replace the starter 4 times, and the starter just went out for a fifth time today. Each time we've replaced the starters, we replace the selonoid as well. I'm wondering if any of you might have an idea to an underlying problem that may be causing the starter to go bad so often. This last time it went bad, I started up the car and it made a metal grinding noise (starter was chewing itself up from the inside), and shut it off. After waiting a few minutes, I tried to start it back up and its only making the "v-room" noises but doesn't start. Any ideas on what might be causing the starters to go bad so often? We've tried different brands of starters, so it isn't one starter is particular that is going bad all the time. Thanks for any advice you can offer!

·
Registered
583 Posts
mine did the same thing it usually means that their is not enough charge. i just replaced the alternator today and it fixed it.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Make sure you are putting the right starter in. The wrong starter/flexplate(flywheel) combination can destroy one or both of those components. I would check your flexplate or flywheel to see if the teeth on it are mangled as well.

Jafo

·
Registered
702 Posts
There are 2 starters for an I6: 1 for auto and 1 for manual. The bendix ( drive gear) housing is different, be sure you have the right one for your car or else the gears won't mesh. You didn't say where you are buying your starters or if they are new or rebuilt. Our shop has many rebuilt starters fail from the getgo because of poor rebuilding. Try a good local rebuilder or NAPA life time starter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts