Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have a quick question about the ignition system on my car. The other day I had to move the car and the starter did not quite cranking. Once I got it moved I shut the car off and pulled the key. Except the car didn't shut off, it just kept running. So I replaced the ignition switch today. Everything was great until I took a trip into town. After a couple stops the starter did the same thing only worse. No matter what I did with the key it wouldn't stop. I finally had to pop the clutch and kill it. So now I wonder if I should replace the key tumbler or the starter relay? I am leaning torward the relay, but not sure.

Thanks for any ideas.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey thanks guys!

I appreciate the responses. Like I said I was leaning to the solenoid myself. The darn thing is less then a year old, but I know things don't last as long as they used to. I thought about the key tumbler because I wasn't sure if a bad one could cause a problem like this or not.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Before changing it, check for a clean ground where the attaching screws are.
Poor grounding of the sol can allow it to stick in start mode.

·
Registered
9,022 Posts
You obviously had an el-cheapo solenoid..

It can leave you on the road dead at the wrong time or start a fire even, if you buy another cheap one.

Only buy these:

Original Ford (NPD/rockauto) $30
Standard Motor Parts (Rock Auto $25.00)
KEM brand (Hard to find, but out there.)

All others are literally TRASH. Especially BORG WARNER's- They are the biggest garbage out there and will screw up your car. Borg Warner actually put more money into making the part "look good" than the part itself. They are junk. Stay away from B/W in this area.
25+ years of Classic Ford experience..lol.. Those three listed above are the only good ones. I have no experience with the newer "repro" ones, but I don't think that I'd trust them too much either..

A good solenoid such as Ford or Standard Motor Parts will last the life of the car pretty much I have found.

Tony K.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts