Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might be a stupid question but is there a fuse needed in order for the starter to work?? Does anybody know what size fuses go in the fuse box I can't read the letters on the box. Thanks

·
Registered
713 Posts
No fuse. Don't even worry about a fuse if your starter won't turn over. Clean the battery posts and clean the negative fitment of the negative cable on the block and see if she fires.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
everything is new when i turn the key to the "on" position i can hear the voltage regulator click on but nothing happens then i turn it to start. I had a buddy turn the key and used a multimeter (one on the + side on the starter selnoid where the starter cable goes and the other on a ground) and nothing but on the other side of the starter selnoid it reads 12 volts. What do you think the problem is??

G

·
I would start with the basics. Take the battery into your local parts store and have it checked. Check all connections for tightness and corrosion.

·
Registered
71 Mach1, Mcode, AOD, 4 wheel discs, Ram air, Cragars in Vermilion Fire paint.
967 Posts
I ended up opening up the solenoid out of frustration with similar problems a while ago.

It turned out to be a combination of battery and solenoid.

(After opening up the solenoid, I noticed that the copper contacts were only half there due to years of zapping)...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts