Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, well I am having unfortunately, another problem with my 66 mustang. About a week ago, the starter went dead, and we took it in and they fixed it. Today, while showing no signs of possible trouble, I went to start my car and all it did was click once, then didnt do anything. I tried a few times and nothing happend. then I pulled out the key, and it started trying to start by itself! it didnt get the engine to run, but it was still very odd. I popped the hood and checked all the wires from the starter and they were all in tact it seemed, and I know that the battery is good because it is new. Anyways, I went ot get ice cream while my dad was coming to pick me up, and I came back to my car before he had arrived, so I decided to try and start her up one last time, and what do ya know? It worked, and I have started the car twice since then and its working fine. Can anyone tell me what caused this? so I can avoid this happening agian in future situations? Thank you very much all who respond.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Tried to start itself!!!!Christine!!!!
you have a bad ignition switch a bad solenoid or a good start for a Steven King novel.
jimbo

M.C.A.# 50000
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1575692&a=11979479&p=43517165.jpg

·
Supporting Vendor
3,961 Posts
Your starter sol. stuck. After having starter trouble the sol. takes
a beating. It may do it again so to be safe you can change the sol.
The problem should go away. Make sure your batt. is in good condition,
and has a full charge. Check the cables to make sure they are clean and
of proper size, the bigger the better. The starting system on these cars
is a week link and should be upgraded with thicker cables and a batt.
with more cold cranking amps. Mine is a 850 amp. batt. The cables are
size 0 from NAPA. The cost more but are worth the money. Good Luck!

·
Supporting Vendor
3,961 Posts
You should replace your sol. or try a different one. It may never do
it again, but it might. If it is a stick shift car it can be a real drag to
have your car take off on it's own. Trying to start the car with a bad
starter or a week batt. will cause the sol. to heat up. Then it will stick
or go off on it's own.

·
Registered
786 Posts
..."then I pulled out the key, and it started trying to start by itself! it didnt get the engine to run, but it was still very odd"

If it started cranking AFTER the key was turned in the off position, then the ignition switch is probably going. (In other words, it's in crank position and cranks, you begin to turn the key off, cranking stops, but as you turn it to the off position it once again starts cranking - it's not a bad solenoid)

If you are cranking and release the key, and the thing keeps cranking - then it could be a hanging/bad solenoid or a bad switch. You have to check the voltage terminal at the solenoid to determine which it is while it is acting up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts