Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '69 428 fastback with C6 for the past 9 months. The starter fails to kick the motor over when it is very hot. If you let it cool down for 10 minutes it is OK. It is also fine when it is cold. Should I take the starter motor out (a small problem with the big 428) or should I replace the switch on the engine bay side wall??

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
I'll bet you're using the factory cables! We have a lot of this in Fla, with the heat. Use 6V cables - usually 0 or 1 gauge. They will carry more current and it should eliminate your problem.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
John,

The solenoid and starter itself are fine, but there is a little trick my racecar-driver/mechanic just taught me for starting your CJ when it's hot (like if you stop for gas). When it won't turn over, kick the gas pedal 2-3 times like you would to start it cold. This will flood the carburetor. Then, hold the gas pedal all the way to the floor like you're clearing it out and turn it over--it will turn now--let it go just a tiny little bit longer than you normally would or she won't totally catch and it will die. My mechanic taught me this little "big block" trick, and it works every time!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts