Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My $$$ PMGR mini starter that I had on the toploader took a dump when I put it on the T5 bellhousing. Now I need a new starter. Are the OEM starters for a 1992 Mustang PMGR starters? And do they have the integrated solenoid as well (or did Ford still use the fenderwall-mounted solenoid in 1992)? I'd like to just run down to the local Kragen/Autozone and pick one up. BTW - 1992 WC T5, with T5 bellhousing, mated to 1969 351W block with new 28oz 157-tooth flywheel. Thanks in advance for your suggestions! :thumbup:

·
Registered
8,677 Posts
I'm about 99.9% sure that the 92 Ford starter is the mini-starter type with the integral solenoid and is the Permanent Magnet Gear Reduction type starter. I would wait for a confirmation though. Pretty much all mini-starters are of the PMGR type AFAIK, until you get into the aftermarket with the Denso and other type housings.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would a starter for a 1992 Mustang 5.0 GT with T5 and 157-tooth 50oz flywheel, work for this 1969 351W with T5 (and T5 BH) and 157-tooth 28oz flywheel? Regardless of the flywheel imbalance, shouldn't the 157-tooth count be the important part?

·
Registered
10,252 Posts
I'm in the middle of dropping out my AOD, and as of this morning, I ordered the new T-5 , flywheel, clucth, etc from Summit.
So, the starter I've used for the pass 9 years, with no trouble, has been the Mini-sized one from the 4 cylinder Mustang/Ranger mid 90's Ford 2300 4 cylinder engine. Yes, it has that little can on it like a GM starter.

By the way, the flexplate I had was the 164 tooth one, and, that is the tooth count on my new flywheel.

·
Registered
12,311 Posts
buening said:
balance is not a concern, as long as the teeth count matches you are golden! Hopefully you have better luck than JohnnyK :lol: You can check his post out if you'd like
haha.. I KNEW that would come up in here.. :lol: Still haven't figured that out.. out of money to throw parts at it.. Who needs a starter when my driveway has a slope.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
JohnnyK said:
haha.. I KNEW that would come up in here.. :lol: Still haven't figured that out.. out of money to throw parts at it.. Who needs a starter when my driveway has a slope.
Wow JohnnyK - Just read your post and you guys have me freakin' out! I hope I won't be starting a new thread soon with your identical situation! Gonna try a couple different starters tonight and pray for the best - and if it works, I'll try to rub some good fortune onto you!!! ;)

·
Registered
12,311 Posts
You won't have the same problems as I do.. It's a magical problem. No joke.. Nothing is wrong, it just won't work, and everything checks out. At least that I can see.. I'm going to throw a new bellhousing and block plate at it, and if that doesn't work, well, nothing else I can do except put a new starter in at some point in the future.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
buening said:
Rorin, i don't think you have that Canadian touch that JohnnyK does. He can look at something and it will break :lol:
Some people are just born lucky I guess!

I called the tech line at Centerforce (new CF flywheel and dual friction clutch) and they said the 157-tooth 28oz flywheel is exactly the same as the 157-tooth 50oz flywheel, except for the balance factor - even the offset and ring-gear are identical.

So I take it all I need is just a plain ol' regular starter from a 1992/3/4/5 Mustang GT w/ T5? And that will have the integral solenoid on it? Can you guys confirm this?

Man I wish I still had my '90 LX 5.0 7-Up Vert to compare things with...

·
Registered
12,311 Posts
buening said:
Rorin, i don't think you have that Canadian touch that JohnnyK does. He can look at something and it will break :lol:
C'mon now.. 5 years and all I did was get a socket jammed in the engine block priming the oil, and this starter problem. And the PO did this starter problem, not me! :lol:

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
JohnnyK said:
buening said:
C'mon now.. 5 years and all I did was get a socket jammed in the engine block priming the oil, and this starter problem. And the PO did this starter problem, not me! :lol:
LOL - I think I read that post as well! So when I primed my oil pump (just yesterday) I made sure to tape the small socket to the socket extension REAL GOOD! ;)

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I'm in the middle of a T5 conversion for the Fastback. The CR Toploader and 66 (small) bellhousing are being replaced with a T5 trans and T5 bellhousing (converted to use the original Z-bar linkage and clutch fork). Anyway, the T5 bell and vintage bell (157 tooth flywheel type) locate the starter in exactly the same position relative to the engine. Unless I'm in left field, I can't see how your bellhousing change caused the starter problem if both bells were for the small flywheel.
Before the change over to the T5 (not completed yet), I had been using a hi-torque mini-starter (FMS M-11000-B50) with no issues. Of course, this was with a 5.0-type flywheel rebalanced to 28 oz spec. FMS says their mini-starter will not work on 164 tooth manual trans set ups.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all of your help guys - I ended up purchasing a plain ol' PMGR starter from a 1993 Mustang GT 5.0. That worked perfectly (and eliminates the fenderwall solenoid, like I wanted). Turns out the snout on this new starter is longer than the one I had on my toploader (see pic), which leads me to believe that's what was causing the problem when I mated it to the T5 bellhousing (i.e. snout was directly hitting the flywheel). (ahem...) JohnnyK - you there?
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k245/ryandnowicki/Engine%20Bay%20-%20Before%20-%20Sept%2007/IMG00031.jpg

·
Registered
12,311 Posts
haha.. Yeah, I'm here, following quite intensely.. however, I pulled the tranny out of mine and looked and the snout is clearing just fine. Mine won't disengage after I stop the starter (I mean, the starter turns off, just won't retract). So, I'm going to throw a new bellhousing at it and go from there I guess. But kudos to you, you've avoided my magical problem :D

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Rorin67 said:
Thanks for all of your help guys - I ended up purchasing a plain ol' PMGR starter from a 1993 Mustang GT 5.0. That worked perfectly (and eliminates the fenderwall solenoid, like I wanted).
So how do you go about wiring this up without the fenderwall solenoid? As I'm doing a T5 conversion from a 4sp this winter.

Thanks,

1 - 20 of 23 Posts