Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, here is my problem. I am on my 5th starter in 5 years. For the first time a few days ago, the starter and the flywheel locked. This happened thursday, and with the hurricane coming ( I live in orlando) I worked until 11 pm that night just to remove the starter. I unbolted it, then I used a jack to free it up. I bolted it right back on, and the car started. I went to work the next day, and when I went to leave, the starter just clicked, then I turned the key on and off quickly, and it started, although with a slight grind. I have already ordered a hi torque mini starter, 4.4 to 1 gear reduction. I was told I may have to shim the starter. I'm sure this has happened to other people. I hear it is kind of common. Will a shim work? By the way, my transmission is a c4, it is not loose, and my flywheel does not appear to be bent, although it has a couple of teeth that have some slight chips. any suggestions?

·
Registered
409 Posts
It may need a shim, if the teeth on the flywheel look worn than it is probably because of this.
Autozone or Advance have them.
It is real easy to do, give it a try and see.

Don

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Do you have the plate that goes between the block and the transmission installed? Without it, it may be the "shim" that you need.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didn't know there was supposed to be a plate there. I thought that was for manual transmissions. Are there different thicknesses for starter shims?

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
There is always supposed to be a plate in there. There is a different plate depending on whether you have an auto or manual. They do not come in different thicknesses and there is no such thing as a "starter shim", at least not in stock configuration.

Here is what you need:

http://www.mustangmods.com/data/10381/f5_1.jpg

There is also a second plate, called an "inspection plate" that fits to the notch at the bottom. It allows access to the converter nuts.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
and there is no such thing as a "starter shim", at least not in stock configuration.
No, not in stock config, but there are shims available from Help for example.

There were two kinds of starter noses. One for automatic and one for manual, something to do with ring gears in flexplate and flywheel. Of course, some part houses have mixed the part numbers wrong way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts