Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Starter Silinoid... Crank but no start? Possible?

766 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Guest 
#1 ·
After a discussion with Dodgestang the other night in chat, he told me that with the Key "on" the left little post should have 12 volts. Okay, so I switch this thing to on, get the voltmeter out..... No voltage there. I thought, hey, maybe he meant the right little post. No voltage there either. The only post that has voltage is the big right post that has the positive battery cable connected to it. This thing will crank, but It will not fire. Is one of the little posts supposed to have 12 Volts with the key on? Do I have a bad silinoid? Thanks in advance......

#2 ·
The little post will have voltage only when the key is in the 'START' position. I'ts voltage applied to this post by the ignition switch that throws the relay to allow voltqage to pass accross the solenoid from the big post with voltage to the other big post and down to the starter. Time to look elsewhere for the no start problem.

#4 ·
289fan is right. The right little post should have 9V on it with the key in the RUN position. When the key is in the START or CRANK position, 12V goes to the left little post, which energizes the starter motor and provides 12V to the right post.

I don't listen to Dodgestang either, since his little yipsh!t dog tried to Bite Me!

#5 ·
the little post toward battery should get 12 Vs when you put ign sw to start and is clled "S" term and is marked as such. that pulls up solenoid and switching action inside the solenoid puts 12 Vs on battery side to starter side and turns starter motor until ign key released or wires burn up. also in this positon you get full 12 Vs out little terminal on left called "I" terminal and marked as such. this applies full 12V to coil vs 6 to 10 Vs when it goes thru ballast resistor and is used for starting voltage only and then dissapears whefn ign key released. your solenoid is alright if you get 12 V out of term on right while craking - best way to check is to check for spark while cranking. have someone try to start and while turning over hold spark pllug wire 1/2 in from block and note nice blue spark across gap - have a little insulation between your hand and wire because there is probably 20,000 Vs there and it will wake you up but not likely to kill you. PM me your findings for more suggestions on next step.

#7 ·
HEY! There are NO idiots here!.. only (perhaps) informationally challenged. PLAY NICE!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.