Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is one wire not connected to the right small post. It came that way and starts OK. What is the non connected wire for and if I connect it to the post, what would be the situation? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
38,218 Posts
That is the ignition "bypass" wire which allows the solenoid to provide battery voltage to the ignition coil during cranking.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is the ignition "bypass" wire which allows the solenoid to provide battery voltage to the ignition coil during cranking.
OK, thanks for info. But is there any advantage in connecting that wire,(other than making it look nice) or does it really make a difference, or what, I'm just confused.

·
Registered
67 Fastback T5 331 TCI Frt End, Canted 4 link rear susp
872 Posts
First, make sure that wire goes to the coil before you connect it to the solenoid, or you could end up feeding 12 volts somewhere you shouldn't. I would think your car might take a little more cracking to start without this wire connected.

·
Premium Member
7,590 Posts
It appears a previous owner (PO) made wiring changes that were not in keeping with the factory wiring. Check your wiring schematic for proper wiring of the starting system for your year.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
What ignition system do you have? As @Woodchuck said, that post on the solenoid is an "ignition bypass" (bypassing the pink resister wire) as the wire connected to it provides a full 12v to the ignition coil during cranking. If you have an aftermarket ignition of some sort the power to it might already have 12v and not use the pink wire.

Reactions: fordfirst

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What ignition system do you have? As @Woodchuck said, that post on the solenoid is an "ignition bypass" (bypassing the pink resister wire) as the wire connected to it provides a full 12v to the ignition coil during cranking. If you have an aftermarket ignition of some sort the power to it might already have 12v and not use the pink wire.
Yes, I have Pertronix in the distributor. Maybe that's why the wire is not connected. Makes sense now. Thank you.

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Same here...running a full 12v to the Pertronix coil and distributor after bypassing the pink resistance wire. I still have the wire going to the coil but I disconnected it and tucked it into the wire harness in case I go back to a factory system.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
That brown wire goes to the coil and not the distributor so having Pertronix in the distributor does not matter. What matters is what voltage coil you are using. As long as the other end of the brown wire is connected to the coil, it will be fine to connect it to the solenoid regardless of the coil voltage. If it is not connected to the coil then don't connect it to the solenoid.

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
Some of the Pertronix coils want 12 volts all the time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts