Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seem to have a problem with my starter solenoid. Went to start my car, a 65 with a 289 before i had the clutch fully engaged, tried to start it again and found out it was totally dead. Checked the battery and was told that i had a dead cell, replaced it with a new battery and now all i get when i turn the key is a lot of clicking from the solenoid. What gives?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Chances are you do not have a bad solenoid but rather a bad connection with one of your battery cables. Either a bad ground connection from the - of the battery to chassis or from the + of the battery to the solenoid. Try cleaning and tightening the cables or replace them if old.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,831 Posts
Just because the battery is new doesn't mean it's fully charged. Motorcycle batteries are commonly sold "uncharged" and need to be slow-charged overnight before use. Check into it. One of the most common symptoms of solenoid clicking is a low battery. Second would have to be a bad cable connection. I've had to clean the connections two or three times (once in a while) before I got a really good connection.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts