Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 66 Mustang C-4 200ci.

I noticed that the transmission had a leak. I turned it on and it looked like the transmission had more fluid than it needed, so i drained a little out of the oil pan. (I recently did an engine swap and spilled a lot of fluid, so I carelessly put more than I needed)

I tightened up the bolts and when I tried to turn the car on, the starter engages, but the car won't crank or fire. In other words the starter just spins and then retracts. I took the battery to get tested and it checked out. NOTE: Prior to draining the transmission fluid, I took the car out for a drive and it ran great, minus the leaking tranny.

Could it be that I took out to much fluid from the transmission? Any thoughts or ideas?

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
You're saying the starter engages but won't crank then spins and retracts. This is a little confusing to me.

Does the starter turn the engine at all? To me turn=crank. Engine firing but not starting will
often cause the starter to disengage.

Amount of fluid in the trans is not related to engine starting unless....
How were you able to drain some of the trans fluid? Usually auto trans pan doesn't have a
drain plug. Maybe disturbed wiring to the distributor or spark plugs?

Slim

·
Registered
855 Posts
Hi,

I have a 66 Mustang C-4 200ci.

I noticed that the transmission had a leak. I turned it on and it looked like the transmission had more fluid than it needed, so i drained a little out of the oil pan. (I recently did an engine swap and spilled a lot of fluid, so I carelessly put more than I needed)

I tightened up the bolts and when I tried to turn the car on, the starter engages, but the car won't crank or fire. In other words the starter just spins and then retracts. I took the battery to get tested and it checked out. NOTE: Prior to draining the transmission fluid, I took the car out for a drive and it ran great, minus the leaking tranny.

Could it be that I took out to much fluid from the transmission? Any thoughts or ideas?
Sometimes the description of the problem is hard to understand. In some parts of the country the host may ask "Do you want a coke?" and you answer "Sure, I'll take a Mountain Dew" Soda, pop, coke, they can all mean the same thing.

In my neck of the woods "Crank" means the starter is engaged and is spinning the engine. Similar to turning over.

Does the engine spin, crank or turnover with the starter engaged or does the starter just spin and the engine does not.

If the engine actually spins with the starter and won't fire and run then my guess is you have no spark.

Adding or removing transmission fluid will not cause a no spark situation or any other symptom you are describing.

I would check to make sure you did not disturb any wire connections while checking the trans fluid.

P

·
0 Posts
It can spin while not moving out to the ring gear. If it were actually going out, it would hit the ring gear. Unless you striped teeth, it isn't going out or your Bendix has fallen apart.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts