Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello VMF,

I need help wiring this starter. I have a relay like this one mounted on fender apron. I assume that the body needs good grounding. Is that correct?

I thin I wire it like the Lower diagram in the attached image. Is that correct?

My starter has 2 lugs and a spade connector. I'm not sure which wires from the remote relay goes to which attachment on the starter.

Note: This is on an EFI 5.0HO.

Thank you,,

Sorry for the blurry starter pic, and for the order of images. I need to learn how to insert them within the text body.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,174 Posts
The heavy cable from the battery side of the fender solenoid connects to the upper lug on the PMGR solenoid. If you connect it to the lower lug the starter will run continuously. The small activation wire from the fender solenoid connects to the small spade terminal on the starter solenoid.

The fender solenoid in your lower photo is only a 3 post solenoid. The wire from the ignition switch to provide 12V in the Start position connects to the small lug. That solenoid does not have the 12V bypass to the coil in the Start mode. The fender solenoid must be grounded through it's mounting bracket.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is there any reason to not mount all the other various Battery + connections to the alternator fuse post (I'm thinking the side away from the Alternator) instead of the the relay post?

It would make for a much cleaner install.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,247 Posts
I see no reason not to change it, but of greater concern is the 2G alternator.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
With the mini starter, you will want a 4 post starter solenoid as you may experience starter run-on when starting the car. The attached pictures will show you how I connected my EFI conversion with mini starter. Do a search in the mod and custom section for PMGR starter and you will come across detailed posts about the proper way of connecting this. Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,247 Posts
If you don't need reduced voltage at the points, use a solenoid from a '92 or later 5.0 Mustang. It has a built in diode that prevents back feeding the electrical system. I've used them for years and never had a problem with either EFI or engine run on. Always insist on genuine Motorcraft solenoids.

Reactions: dbenichou289
1 - 7 of 7 Posts