Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As usual my starter didn't come with any instructions. Did I jump the correct terminals? Also which post does the starter wire go onto. The large post to the right in the picture?

Attachments

·
Registered
20,342 Posts
Remove the jumper. Go from the battery side of the old solenoid to the big terminal on the starter. Then the terminal on solenoid that went to the old starter, run a small gauge wire to the small terminal on the new starter. That's how I did it. Or instead of the big terminal that went to the starter, use the small "S" terminal on the solenoid to the small terminal on the new starter.

The problem with the way you have it is since the starter has magnets, it will act as a generator if driven. This is what will happen when the engine fires and runs. It will now drive the starter and generate a voltage that will backfeed into the solenoid keeping the drive engaged. If the engine doesn't start, it will act normal.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
This is the instruction sheet you should have received with the starter
1579478392261.png

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Found this:

Just so I have it correctly, the old, black wire will mover from the right side of the solenoid to the left(battery) side of the solenoid. question which large post on the starter do I hook it up to? In my pic above I assume its the large post to the right. Than I'll run a 12G wire from the left side of the solenoid to the small post in my picture.

Sorry if I'm being a bit simplistic, but electronics have always alluded me and I don't want to screw anything up.

·
Premium Member
10,063 Posts
I think your picture in Post #1 is wrong. What is that black jumper wire connected to?
In your photo (without the black jumper wire) the cable from the Bat side of the fender mounted solenoid would connect to the large stud on the right side of the starter mounted solenoid. And the small wire on the opposite side of the fender mounted solenoid would connect to the small stud on the starter mounted solenoid. The large stud on the left side of the starter mounted solenoid connects to the armature of the starter and if you connect your battery wire there the starter will spin as soon as you connect the battery to the fender mounted solenoid.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@awhtx The jumpers are wrong. i already took them off. I was told by my transmission seller to do this. Bad advice. Would have been nice if he gave me directions! Also I meant to say run a 12G wire from the RIGHT side of the solenoid to the small post on the starter.

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
Just so I have it correctly, the old, black wire will mover from the right side of the solenoid to the left(battery) side of the solenoid. question which large post on the starter do I hook it up to? In my pic above I assume its the large post to the right. Than I'll run a 12G wire from the left side of the solenoid to the small post in my picture.

Sorry if I'm being a bit simplistic, but electronics have always alluded me and I don't want to screw anything up.
Correct. This is how you wire it. I have the same style starter and has worked for years like this. Have fun! And yes, from the RIGHT side of the solenoid with the smaller wire to the starter post located at the 11 o'clock position in your photo.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts