Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys so I have posted for a year about what to do and what to build for an engine in my 68 coupe. The car is in beautiful shape no rust acopulco blue w/ black interior etc...But I was puting 2 q of oil a week in the tired 302. Here is what I had and what I will start up tommorow.

Old Engine
302 .030 over
dished pistons
68 302 heads with worn out components
stock 68 cam
Air Gap Intake manifold/eddy 600cfm elec choke carb
long tubes with 2.5'' exhaust w/ cherry bomb glasspacks
c4 trans that eventually broke band and lost 2nd gear

NEW ENGINE
same 68 block
302 bored .040
flat top pistons
Iron GT40 heads cut for 9:7:3 compression (53cc chambers now) ported and polished with all new stainless valves and blended bowls
crane 1.7 alum roller rockers
comp cams 270H magnum cam ([email protected] duration .501 lift 110LSA)
Same LT headers and now the Air Gap intake is port matched to my heads
Broader Performance built C4 with stage 3 shift adjustments( chirp 1st to 2nd and firm shift 2nd to 3rd)
custom broader 2400rpm Stall converter with B&M trans cooler

I will run shell rotella T oil in it 30W

ok so what do you guys think??? I think ill need to go from my 301 gear to a 350 probably in the next few months but im not sure its my daily driver

Is this thing going to be a bit louder and meaner sounding? Im thinking so

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
Fire extinguisher....

Oh, and IMO it's better to start it corked up if you have any temptations to hear it roar. I even start racing engines corked up, just to be sure.

Yeah, that should do quite well. 3.50's are nice but watch out if you put 4.11's in there. It'll really wake up. Not good for efficiency though....

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Have you pre-oiled the cylinders?

Be sure to follow the cam break-in procedures.

Are you sure the torque converter is full of fluid? Have some extra fluid standing by to top off as necessary...

Good Luck,

Dave

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
video! post a video!!!

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
From what I have been reading lately diesel oils are not the greatest for gas engines. They have a higher amount of detergent in them. This could lead to bearing wear problems. You might want to stay away. I put Rotella in my car at last change but will remove it before driving car this spring.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
for just a few dollars more---this is what my brother put in his 83 gt vert--408 windsor stroker--stupid amount of money in it! ---I used to have 4:11 gears in a fairly hot 66---(30 years ago) --the 4:11 are a great quick gear--I had a low gear top loader---aod or 5 spd would be nice with it.
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/7/web/2539000-2539999/2539796_54_full.jpg

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the comments guys! On my way to go install tranny and hopefully break it in!

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
By the way mod9, your sportsroof is a show stopper. I really like that shade of red. Isnt it indian fire red or something? I cant remember.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Nope it is candyapple red.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well regardless, it has an awesome look!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts