Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gang

I just had a new edelbrock 4 barrel installed. She has ran fine for a few days only driving it to the gas station and back to add some fuel. This morning she fired up fine and I drove her about a mile to my friends house. I put her in park and she died about 5 min later and won’t restart. I checked the fuel lines and I have fuel to the carb, I see it spray out when I press the pedal/throttle body although it looks a little dry in there. It tries to turn over but just won’t start. my mechanics just replaced the spark plugs at the same time so I know or believe those are good. I do t know what it could be?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Though the glass fuel filter is a fire waiting to happen. Do you see fuel in it? It's hard to tell by the pictures. Are you getting spark?

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,618 Posts
Despite people's fear and lack of faith in glass fuel filters I've happily run them for over 30 years on a variety of vehicles. But I would position yours so it isn't touching the valve cover (or any other hard metal surface). Speaking of which, as much as I despise AutoZone, if you go in there and look at the chrome hotrod parts section you'll see a shiny chrome fuel line for your carburetor which will tuck the line down. Nice and neat. Unfortunately the end will come out right where your coil is now I think. So a bit complicated to install. But check one out, I'm sure you'll like the looks of it though. The brand I saw there (and bought ) was Spectre. To use one you'll need other fittings too and probably a different filter but it will get rid of all the that unattractive rubber fuel hose. Which bothers me a LOT more than your choice of filter.

Back on topic, once again, have you checked to see if you have spark at a spark plug? Do you know how? No big deal just ask. I like to use a Lisle inline "spark checker" from the parts store tool section myself. It was pretty cheap.

Reactions: 2nd 66

·
Registered
7,107 Posts
First, check to insure you have no disconnected wires? It's happened to me after working on under hood projects. You might move a certain way and not really an important wire disconnected. May "look" connected, but, actually isn't.
As a previous poster intimated pull a plug boot insert bent pater clip and lay near a ground. Have a helper turn the engine over while you are looking for spark. Should be a nice blue/white color. If not, Start trouble shooting, both primary and secondary Ignition systems.
Based on your experience, I'm thinking some lead came loose. Check the points, insure they are set correctly, If a 289/302, should be .017", if I recall.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I definitely would never use a glass filter like the one in the original post. About 10 years ago a had one of these on my Mustang and it was fine for many months. I liked it and you could easily see the fuel and it looked nice as well.

One day it failed. Luckily I was idling the car on my driveway and not out and about. It was idling fine and I was happy and then it went all lumpy and was struggling to tick over. I opened the hood and the glass fuel filter had come apart and fuel was pouring on to the inlet manifold. Luckily I was able to turn the engine off and deal with the fuel before things got any worse.

The fuel filter has a metal rod that goes down the middle of it and each end is threaded so the metal ends of the filter can screw onto it and pull themselves onto the glass with rubber seals. The metal rod had simply broken in two. And looking at the break, it was just a cheap crappy casting and there were air pockets inside it. And I had not overtightened the ends to stress the rod too much.

I immediately went back to a metal fuel filter after that. Now maybe I was unlucky and got a bad one, or maybe there are good and bad makes of similar looking filters. But I will never use them again.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gang

I just had a new edelbrock 4 barrel installed. She has ran fine for a few days only driving it to the gas station and back to add some fuel. This morning she fired up fine and I drove her about a mile to my friends house. I put her in park and she died about 5 min later and won’t restart. I checked the fuel lines and I have fuel to the carb, I see it spray out when I press the pedal/throttle body although it looks a little dry in there. It tries to turn over but just won’t start. my mechanics just replaced the spark plugs at the same time so I know or believe those are good. I do t know what it could be?
So no spark to plugs, replaced msd still with no spark. We checked leads, wires, grounds with no luck so far. Going to purchase the new fuel filter

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
You have points or electronic ignition? Check cap and rotor too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have

an electric ignition with the msd. I bought an off the shelf replacement at the local pets store about and hour ago and put it in.
Ok the group is telling me it’s the points and that should take care of it. I’m going down now to pick up some parts and give it a try

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gang

ditching points for electronic unit and hotter coil

1 - 13 of 13 Posts