Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 66 Fastback 289 with a 4 speed. I just replaced the lockset since the car didn't have keys when I bought it.

Nothing happens when I turn the key. I have replaced the ignition cylinder, but still nothing.

The car will start by running a wire to the coil, and jumping the leads on the relay.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where I should start looking for my problem?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I'd suggest you get a test light and see what you have at the switch. How was the car cranked when you didn't have keys? Did they bypass the switch? Are all the wires on the back of the switch connected? Check for a blown fuse.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Whenever you put a jumper on the relays it is in essence hot-wiring the car. That is how we started the car whenever I didn't have keys. I have not checked for a blown fuse, when I saw all the aluminum foil in the fuse box I got sick. Didn’t really want to look anymore at that point in time. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
check +12 V at "S" terminal of solenoid when key goes to start position. this pulls up solenoid and pputs battery power to starter and pputs +12 V to coil for starting viltage out the "I" terminal of solenoid. the +12 volts get to "S" terminal thru ign switch and neutral safety switch with auto trans. you can prove solenoid good by putting + 12 V from + term of battery to "S" terminal on solenoid and atarter should turn motor over and start. then check your wiring to find problem - PM me for wiring details if you need.
OOPS forgot - make sure your trans is in neutral when you jump "S" term to battery or your garage wll may have hole in it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts