Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of having my dad's 68 Fastback signed over to me and in order to tag it, it must have insurance which is where I began searching the site. It sounded as though State Farm actually had some good reviews on their accepted value insurance, so I called my agent excited to get a policy in place. I live in GA, btw since insurance policies vary by State.

She told me in no uncertain terms that their classic car insurance ONLY allows for driving to and from shows and parades. No weekend pleasure drives, no getting the car out just to run it a bit...nothing. Only to and from shows or parades. I even asked about short drives for maintenance purposes....nope. They also required that the car be professionally appraised and that it be tagged as an antique.

This car is not completely restored, although it is in very good and driveable condition. Problem is that I want to enjoy the car. Not a lot and not to work. Just the occasional nice weekend cruise around town. I was hoping that State Farm would come through since everything else I own is through them. I was just surprised at how locked down and rigid they were, but it looks as though their plans are tailored more toward the show only cars. Anyone else in GA here that currently uses State Farm for their classic car?

Anyway, I guess I will start pricing some alternatives as well. Think I will begin with Hagerty.

·
Registered
8,871 Posts
Forget State Farm. I can't say ANYTHING good about them..... so I'm just going to leave that there. (past experience dealing with them on claims as an insurance company employee)

I've got coverage on my '66 GT through Condon Skelly. You probably wouldn't want to have an open track incident with them but regarding street driving, there are no restrictions.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses. The more I think about it, the more I am sliding State Farm to the side. I mean I want to enjoy the car a little and cruise around town on nice weekends without having to worry. I probably wouldn't put more than 2000 miles per year on it. Looking at Hagerty currently.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Hagerty all the way. They allow you to drive them more than to the end of the driveway, lol. Seriously, I had a VERY bad experience with State Farm very early in my life, I will never give them a dime and if I can convince you otherwise I'm good with that also. Hagerty is awesome although I've never had to file a claim (knocking on my hardwood head)...

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have Hagerty as well and it is pretty similar to what @GT289 says. I have had no claims but having Hagerty has been no issues on my end. In Minnesota if you have collector, antique, vintage, classic sort of plates, you are bound to the same restrictions you state, shows and parades, display only. Very reasonable cost as well. Another thumbs up.

Glen

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Forget State Farm. I can't say ANYTHING good about them..... so I'm just going to leave that there. (past experience dealing with them on claims as an insurance company employee)

I've got coverage on my '66 GT through Condon Skelly. You probably wouldn't want to have an open track incident with them but regarding street driving, there are no restrictions.
Is Condon Skelly's coverage "agreed value" ?

·
Registered
8,871 Posts
Is Condon Skelly's coverage "agreed value" ?
Yes. It is an agreed value policy. That's exactly what's on the policy paperwork. I set mine at $XXXXX
they agreed and placed that on my paperwork. I'm looking at my policy right now.....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for bring up the subject. I just got me 1965 GT Fastback running a couple of weeks ago and I am now shopping for insurance too. I am also new to this form starting today. This looks like a good place to go to find out more about vintage Mustang. I'm location is in N California..

·
Registered
597 Posts
I have agreed value with State Farm on my Mustang. I came real close to switching to Hagerty or something else because when my car is done I want to drive it and I didn’t like State Farm’s language. My agent, who is a longtime family friend, was adamant that the car can be driven, just not daily. I told him my plans, and when the car is done we are going to revisit what State Farm will allow me to do. I trust my agent, but also don’t want to get screwed when they deny a claim because I was driving the car to get ice cream.

That being said, I have had nothing but great experiences with State Farm when it comes to claims. They’ve always taken excellent care of me.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am in the process of having my dad's 68 Fastback signed over to me and in order to tag it, it must have insurance which is where I began searching the site. It sounded as though State Farm actually had some good reviews on their accepted value insurance, so I called my agent excited to get a policy in place. I live in GA, btw since insurance policies vary by State.

She told me in no uncertain terms that their classic car insurance ONLY allows for driving to and from shows and parades. No weekend pleasure drives, no getting the car out just to run it a bit...nothing. Only to and from shows or parades. I even asked about short drives for maintenance purposes....nope. They also required that the car be professionally appraised and that it be tagged as an antique.

This car is not completely restored, although it is in very good and driveable condition. Problem is that I want to enjoy the car. Not a lot and not to work. Just the occasional nice weekend cruise around town. I was hoping that State Farm would come through since everything else I own is through them. I was just surprised at how locked down and rigid they were, but it looks as though their plans are tailored more toward the show only cars. Anyone else in GA here that currently uses State Farm for their classic car?

Anyway, I guess I will start pricing some alternatives as well. Think I will begin with Hagerty.
Another thumbs up for Hagerty. I’ve talked with multiple people there and first class service.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I have both mine insured with Hagerty. You get to pick the level of insurance you want. I can even drive mine to work occasionally. The more you drive, the more you pay, but you have options, and it isn't all that expensive.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I have State Farm as well and my agent said I can drive it, but not daily. He said I can even take it to the office, but not often. I wanted Hagerty, but they were considerably more expensive than State Farm and the policies seemed to be similar. I believe I read this in my policy, but will look again.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I am also in the Hagerty camp. No issues but then again no claims. Agreed value of $XXXXX.

Thanks for bring up the subject. I just got me 1965 GT Fastback running a couple of weeks ago and I am now shopping for insurance too. I am also new to this form starting today. This looks like a good place to go to find out more about vintage Mustang. I'm location is in N California..
Welcome to VMF - How's Dolores? ;)

John

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
So, I had Hagerty for many years and told them I wanted to be able to drive my car to work occasionally and they said no. State Farm said yes up to 4000 miles a year at the same price as Hargerty. I think it's a state thing. I have no horse in the race at this point as I'm looking for autocross and track day insurance.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts