Vintage Mustang Forums banner

41 - 60 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I have State Farm for full coverage with no deductible on my 66 at an "agreed upon" value (occasionally driven), liability on the Emberglo 66 (soon to add a 16 year old), full coverage on the wife's 18 Expedition, and full coverage on my 02 F-250 (soon to cut to liability only). I spoke with my agent today and cutting my truck to liability will reduce it by half, and adding my son on the Emberglo car is only going up by $43 per month so I'm pretty happy. With home, multi-car, good driver for me and wife, and with driver's ed and honor roll for my son, I'm pretty stoked!
Still considering Hagerty for MyFirstCar, but the quote is nearly identical to what I'm paying now.
I have had State Farm since 1986 and have had our house with them for 25 years with no claims on the house...ever. We have a multi vehicle discount as well as an accident free discount, so my 1st thought was to go back to them. Given our history with them, my agent still wouldn't even discuss it with me unless I agreed to show and parade only with no exceptions and a professional appraisal. Really surprised me.

·
Registered
4,062 Posts
When I was on active duty, I had State Farm until I was transferred to the UK. Upon return to the states I was reassigned to California and that's when SF decided to drop me. Said I had no driving record for the past two years. (Because I was in the UK) I had insurance with a UK company but SF didn't recognize them, and they also said they were pulling out of the CA market. That's when I went to USAA and never looked back.
I had the same thing happen to me when I went to Germany. Was there for 3 years and when I came back to the US, I was told by multiple auto insurance companies that because I had no proof of insurance for the last X amount of years, they either wouldn't cover me, or would treat me as a first time insured at a much higher rate. I don't recall who I finally ended up going with, but it was such a bad experience for me that to this day I hate insurance companies and having to deal with them.

·
Registered
507 Posts
This is interesting guys, I have all my insurance through State Farm on my six classic cars. My agent is my neighbor, so he knows I drive my cars all the time, and they've never said I would be restricted in any way. The only slight issue I had was the declared value on my fastback I had to do a little arm-wringing with their underwriters, but I'm not aware that my policy has any limitations like you're describing. I had to send pictures of the car from all sides and tell them what I wanted it insured for, but that was it. One other little thing is that with the specific policies I have, I am not able to suspend/reduce the coverage in the off-season to minimal as I have with later model cars that were only seasonally driven. I think some of the issues may be agent-specific. We are fortunate to have a very good one in our town. Maybe ask another agent. It's possible there's a different product they offer that would fit your needs better.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have had State Farm since 1986 and have had our house with them for 25 years with no claims on the house...ever. We have a multi vehicle discount as well as an accident free discount, so my 1st thought was to go back to them. Given our history with them, my agent still wouldn't even discuss it with me unless I agreed to show and parade only with no exceptions and a professional appraisal. Really surprised me.
I have people who represent Insurance companies tell me your Loyalty means nothing, I'm not throwing State Farm under the bus but I don't think they have your best interest involved when insuring something like a classic car.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I also have Agreed Value on my ‘65 with State Farm, no professional appraisal. They asked me what I wanted and had me send in several pictures to verify the condition of the car. Seems like this particular agent either doesn’t want to insure your classic or doesn’t do classics enough to have a good understanding of the policy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have Hagerty and have had an actual claim with them. Got hail damage on my '66; a number of sizable dents on the hood, roof, and trunk. We discussed with the adjustor that the dents will have to be removed and the entire car repainted because the color wouldn't otherwise match. Adjustor said they'd do whatever necessary to make the car good. I went to the exact place I wanted to take it, had the body guy contact the adjustor - who then signed off on it and we received a check within 6 days. Cost to repair was almost half the agreed upon value and we had no problem at all getting them sign off on it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have Hagerty and have had an actual claim with them. Got hail damage on my '66; a number of sizable dents on the hood, roof, and trunk. We discussed with the adjustor that the dents will have to be removed and the entire car repainted because the color wouldn't otherwise match. Adjustor said they'd do whatever necessary to make the car good. I went to the exact place I wanted to take it, had the body guy contact the adjustor - who then signed off on it and we received a check within 6 days. Cost to repair was almost half the agreed upon value and we had no problem at all getting them sign off on it.
This is what I'm talking about, Thats why they call ( insurance ) for many I like to call it ( Unsurance ). I also had one claim though the years with Hagerty. A cracked windshield on a 59 Eldorado. They seemed more interested in getting it fixed than me. They where right on top of it. Thats just one of the reasons I always recommend them. They are tops in My opinion. And Knowledgable to the hobby.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I have people who represent Insurance companies tell me your Loyalty means nothing, I'm not throwing State Farm under the bus but I don't think they have your best interest involved when insuring something like a classic car.
You are absolutely right about the loyalty thing. I was putting that out there more to show that I had a good payment / claim ratio. Normally, a new customer with no history will be treated a little differently than an existing, established customer that has proven to pay on time with little to no claims across their line of products. Oh well. I guess it is what it is.

I don't know if it is an agent thing, a State thing, or a combination of both. Their unwillingness to budge even a little was enough to turn me away. After all, that would be the same agent that I would have to go back to if there were a claim filed and I would rather not put up with the headache.

Good news is that I just got off of the phone with Hagerty and am the proud owner of a Hagerty policy with no mileage limits, agreed value. etc. And it was at a very good price. I'll call it a win going into the weekend!

·
Registered
4,062 Posts
Just remember whenever you are driving your classic, you are on the way to a car show.
The last two times I went to Hot August Nights, I drove my 65 there, and it's over 1000 miles one way. Would I be covered? :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
4026 POSTS! WOW. It's been fun, have a safe weekend. And by the way I have Haggerty and have had one claim handled like BeautifulDaughtor said, very pleased. Of coarse it was my wife driving.

·
Registered
188 Posts
One thing about State Farm at least in Michigan is that they will give you an stated value policy,
I too am in Michigan. I have Agreed Value with State Farm. But they required historic/antique plates. The State of Michigan limits those plates to Parades and Shows only (except in the month of August - then no limits). So no pleasure driving. They asked me the value I wanted and to send pictures.

·
Registered
464 Posts
My State Farm agent (two homes and six vehicles) recommended Haggerty for vehicle seven (73 Mach 1) and eight (70 Dodge Dart).

·
Registered
597 Posts
Find another State Farm agent who wants your business.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I looked and talked to about every insurance company when I insured my '66. I knew when I was going to take possession of the car 5 states away and had the company begin coverage that day. I went with Hagerty. I felt they had less restrictions and I could enjoy the car. The biggest thing I think with Hagerty is the car has to be garaged but I already had a space set aside for it so I was ready. A side note on Hagerty is you can get some discounts on things along with a magazine with great articles and emails with more content. I think I pay $269 a year based on an agreed value of $22,000 and I'm in NC.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Find another State Farm agent who wants your business.
I did, well sort of. I went with a different company that wanted my business (Hagerty). Read many great reviews on them, so I opened a policy in the course of about 15 minutes over the phone. Agreed value, no mileage limits, no professional appraisal needed...just hands down, a much better experience.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Berkley Classics in Luverne, MN also insures classic cars. 800-603-3330 or www.berkleyclassics.com. I've never had a claim, so I can't speak to that process, but their rates seemed reasonable. jp
When I lived in South Dakota I used Berkley for 25+ years. Rates were very reasonable. Not sure of their claim service as I never had to utilize.

When I moved to Alabama, they, Berkley, unfortunately did not service this state so I ended up with Hagerty. Copied from their website:

Currently, Berkley Classics can provide insurance for vehicles registered in the following states: CO, IA, ID, IL, IN, KS, MN, MO, MT, ND, NE, OH, OR, SD, TX, UT, WA, WI and WY. Enter a location within these states to find results nearby.

John

41 - 60 of 85 Posts