Vintage Mustang Forums banner

61 - 80 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
The last two times I went to Hot August Nights, I drove my 65 there, and it's over 1000 miles one way. Would I be covered? :)
That is the question that I asked Grundys/ American Collector. Talk about crawlfishing- they refused to answer. They wanted me to ask the local police in the area, to place my car in their impound lot if I stayed somewhere overnight. Now that’s how they answered before they had my money... I cannot imagine how they would have answered if I was calling in a claim from a hotel parking lot.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Stang, it seems classic car insurance in general is a ripoff. Costs more than daily driver and is very restrictive, don't see that it offers any benefit. Varies widely from State to State. Here in Michigan, ALL of our insurance is a clusterf----- ( fudge, what did you think I meant ! ). Keep in mind Hagerty is NOT an insurance company, they are usually just shilling for Essentia, and if you call or write to underwriting to get an accurate answer, you'll find them just as restrictive as State Farm was. The Hagerty agent probably doesn't know or understand what they are talking about. I am still insurance shopping, AGAIN. Wife & I are 61 & 58, retired, clean records for last 30 yrs, no drunk drivings ever, and we have 12 cars between us, no kids in the house anymore, and STILL Hagerty / Grundy / the rest want exorbitant money for very minimal coverage. I honestly don't understand how some of these places stay in business. LSG

·
Registered
454 Posts
Hagerty!!! They have the least number of restrictions on use. You tell them how many miles you want to drive each year. The caveat is that it cannot be your commute to work car. But Hagerty wants their customers to drive! It advances the hobby and interest in collector cars, and in the end advances their business.

I had 3 cars with Hagerty for years; just sold one of them. And a number of friends have all had excellent service and claims experience with them with no complaints. And I just recently finished a claim with them on the Pantera... Someone backed into my original paint unrestored concours winning Pantera a little over a year ago and his insurance (Farmers) suggested it would only cost $1,500 to fix, and that's all they sent me a check for. I called Hagerty and they said to send the check back to Farmers and take it to a shop of my choice. Oh, and their estimator looked at the damage and estimated $6,800-$9,500 to fix properly. In the end, they paid for the car to be completely repainted since you can't get the original paint in California and can't match California mandated water-based basecoat-clearcoat paint to original 40 year old single stage lacquer.

Hagerty may not be the least expensive collector car policy, but you don't want to have a claim and find out why your insurance company is the cheapest! Hagerty did right be me!

·
Registered
599 Posts
I just did a quote with Hagerty as a result of this thread - $569/yr ($45ish a month). I currently pay $17 a month for $30k agreed value with State Farm. Hagerty may be great, but far from the cheapest in my situation.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Garth, glad the Hag was good to you. I have long wondered what they have against me. quoted $1600 ~1800 for car show, parade only, locked in garage and NEVER crack a smile while seated in the car insurance. Don't think I live in a bad neighborhood, but they certainly don't want me. LSG

·
Registered
454 Posts
I have long wondered what they have against me. quoted $1600 ~1800 for car show, parade only, locked in garage and NEVER crack a smile while seated in the car insurance. Don't think I live in a bad neighborhood, but they certainly don't want me.
Wow! That's crazy! Do you have a 1 of 1 Boss 429 or some astronomically valuable car? My rate is around $800/yr for the 3 cars (66 GT, 72 Pantera, and 69 Cutlass). I don't remember the specified/allowed mileage on each, but it's something like 6,000 mi/yr. for the Pantera and 1,500 mi/yr. for the Cutlass. I don't remember what I specified for the 66 GT.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Garth, no, nothing special, 302 fastback, not Boss, I valued at $35K. My employer has 428SCJ valued at $ 80K, and his quote was less. My personal guess is that I asked questions, and they don't like that. LSG

·
Registered
133 Posts
+1 for Hagerty, we have our 70 with them, I have a 3000 mile per year limit.
I was recently laid off and lost my company truck, so I called them to explain and no problem. A couple hundred more per year and I can use it as I need.
I got quotes fro a couple others and same as State Farm, no driving anywhere, cant even stop at a store on the way home from a car show.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am in the process of having my dad's 68 Fastback signed over to me and in order to tag it, it must have insurance which is where I began searching the site. It sounded as though State Farm actually had some good reviews on their accepted value insurance, so I called my agent excited to get a policy in place. I live in GA, btw since insurance policies vary by State.

She told me in no uncertain terms that their classic car insurance ONLY allows for driving to and from shows and parades. No weekend pleasure drives, no getting the car out just to run it a bit...nothing. Only to and from shows or parades. I even asked about short drives for maintenance purposes....nope. They also required that the car be professionally appraised and that it be tagged as an antique.

This car is not completely restored, although it is in very good and driveable condition. Problem is that I want to enjoy the car. Not a lot and not to work. Just the occasional nice weekend cruise around town. I was hoping that State Farm would come through since everything else I own is through them. I was just surprised at how locked down and rigid they were, but it looks as though their plans are tailored more toward the show only cars. Anyone else in GA here that currently uses State Farm for their classic car?

Anyway, I guess I will start pricing some alternatives as well. Think I will begin with Hagerty.
I have Grundy for my 3 cars. Agreed value and no limit on mileage, just can’t use for an everyday driver. They are the best priced by far compared to others.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am in the process of having my dad's 68 Fastback signed over to me and in order to tag it, it must have insurance which is where I began searching the site. It sounded as though State Farm actually had some good reviews on their accepted value insurance, so I called my agent excited to get a policy in place. I live in GA, btw since insurance policies vary by State.

She told me in no uncertain terms that their classic car insurance ONLY allows for driving to and from shows and parades. No weekend pleasure drives, no getting the car out just to run it a bit...nothing. Only to and from shows or parades. I even asked about short drives for maintenance purposes....nope. They also required that the car be professionally appraised and that it be tagged as an antique.

This car is not completely restored, although it is in very good and driveable condition. Problem is that I want to enjoy the car. Not a lot and not to work. Just the occasional nice weekend cruise around town. I was hoping that State Farm would come through since everything else I own is through them. I was just surprised at how locked down and rigid they were, but it looks as though their plans are tailored more toward the show only cars. Anyone else in GA here that currently uses State Farm for their classic car?

Anyway, I guess I will start pricing some alternatives as well. Think I will begin with Hagerty.
Grundy Worldwide is for antique and classic car insurance and they are more reasonable than regular car insurance companies.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Emailed my State Farm agent to ask about their definition of “limited” driving. Was told 500 miles per year, trailered to and from shows. Told him that wouldn’t cut it, so he’s going to re-quote me. I'll wait to see what he says and compare to Hagerty.

Update: just ran a quote with Hagerty, $998 a year! I’m currently paying $250 with State Farm.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have AAA of Southern California. No restriction. Agreed value of $25,000. I pay $180 per year. That’s about $50 less then Hagerty was. I do have my other vehicles with them too.

·
Registered
4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, wow that seems really unfair , you own a classic which is probably your pride and joy and drive it with respect and care and the insurance system there won’t let you drive it for repairs just to shows, thats ridiculous! I’m from Australia and where I live, you join a car club, get historic registration which is fior 12 months at a cost of $90.00 and for that you can drive it anyware you like for 90 days a year. The added bonus is because your not using it every day, classic car insurance is really cheap as youre not in a high risk bracket. My Mach 1 is insured fir $100,000 and it’s about $50.00 per month for cover. All you do is when you drive the car is complete a log book entry for the day, I’ve never used up 90 days in fact 48 days in a year is the most I’ve ever done.
Like I mentioned, I feel really sorry for you with such a ridiculous deal re insurance. I hope you end up with the best deal you can find, good luck and take care.

·
Registered
2 Posts

I use Grundy. Relatively low cost and understand maintenance/weekend drives

·
Registered
223 Posts
Another vote for Hagerty here. Most insurance companies are VERY good at taking your money but it's when you file a claim that the rubber hits the road so to speak. Thanks to an inattentive brother in law I had the opportunity to test Hagerty's customer service. They never blinked. Adjuster came to me, surveyed the damage and I had the check a few days later. They even called a couple of months later to ensure I was satisfied with everything and on top of that my rates never increased. +1 for Hagerty!

·
Registered
223 Posts
So, I had Hagerty for many years and told them I wanted to be able to drive my car to work occasionally and they said no. State Farm said yes up to 4000 miles a year at the same price as Hargerty. I think it's a state thing. I have no horse in the race at this point as I'm looking for autocross and track day insurance.

Out of curiousity how recent was this experience? They've loosened a lot of their requirements since I started with them and vaguely remember them telling me I could drive it to work "Occasionally". Since I don't want to expose it to the demolition derby of many parking lots I've never consider it but "believe" the option is now there.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Out of curiousity how recent was this experience? They've loosened a lot of their requirements since I started with them and vaguely remember them telling me I could drive it to work "Occasionally". Since I don't want to expose it to the demolition derby of many parking lots I've never consider it but "believe" the option is now there.
It was 2 years ago when I switched to State Farm on the Mustang and I’m happy with way they have treated me for the last 45 years.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
I have had State Farm since 1986 and have had our house with them for 25 years with no claims on the house...ever. We have a multi vehicle discount as well as an accident free discount, so my 1st thought was to go back to them. Given our history with them, my agent still wouldn't even discuss it with me unless I agreed to show and parade only with no exceptions and a professional appraisal. Really surprised me.
same here. i've had state farm for over 30 years and was told the same thing, i could drive in a parade or show, but that was it. not to mention they wouldn't insure mine anyway because it wasn't all one color. they were fantastic for a homeowners claim i had ( house burnt to the ground, total loss. they went above and beyond for me).

i've had grundy for 5 years, no claims yet and i'm hoping to keep it that way

61 - 80 of 85 Posts