Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. Static electricity is everywhere, especially in cold weather when the air is dryer... but... I've noticed in the last week or so that I've been shocked 3-4 times when getting out of my car when it has never happened before. Any thoughts on that? A short or ground issue? Been doing some other work on the car but nothing electrical. When it comes to electricity, I'm about to graduate 3rd grade so a lot of this is just feeling around in the dark. No mocking please!! Just your thoughts!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Try spraying some static guard on your carpet. Test on passenger side side first. To make sure it doesn't cause your shoes to slip on carpet.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Usually a cloth seat problem, with those you can rub down the seat with a dryer sheet and that often helps. Not sure about vinyl but worth a try.

·
Premium Member
11,589 Posts
its random and has to do with atmosfear and type of upholstery. vinyl and nylon cloth tend to shock more. i always hold to metal on any vehicle until foot is on the ground

·
Radar
7,036 Posts
Static electricity is everywhere, I've noticed in the last week or so that I've been shocked 3-4 times when getting out of my car...
After you pull the key from the ignition touch something with your bare fingers that's painted metal or glass for a moment as you get out. The door window frame or door glass will work. The trick is remembering and making it a habit.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
I hate it, too. I always hold something metal, like the door, on my way out the door.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Did you just get your shot recently? The chip might be shorting out already ;)

Reactions: Chaplin

·
Registered
10,527 Posts
See ...it's happening....your car is converting to an BEV

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
When I was a kid I remember seeing these in the JC Whitney catalog. This car is obviously newer. Here's the blurb that goes with the picture:
Photo: An anti-static car strip. Look closely and you'll see a zig-zag of copper wire running across the surface. This is what supposedly carries the static electricity to the ground. In practice, although rubber is an insulator, car tires do conduct electricity to a certain extent, making devices like this entirely redundant.

·
Premium Member
7,013 Posts
Sometimes it has to do with what kind of clothing you're wearing and the relative humidity. As @4ocious and some others have said just touch a metal part of the car as you're getting out.
On another note there are electrically conductive strips that are hung from the bottom of heavy duty vehicles that haul petroleum or gases of different kinds or belonging to employees working around pipelines and such to prevent static electricity from vehicles causing an unfortunate newsworthy event.

·
Registered
10,615 Posts
Stop wearing polyester

·
Registered
1965 Ford Mustang fastback T5 Ncas 9in Locker
1,365 Posts
WHAAAAT!?? Long live the 70's😉

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ok,ok... in rereading my post, I deserved to be mocked!!! I don't wear polyester and my vaccine chip is scheduled to be inserted. I've been shocked before just not with this car so didn't know if I crossed some things up. In any case, thanks to all for your answers, responses and of course the well deserved mocking! 😁

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
You're getting hit by tribo-electric charging, a charge created by friction or speration of materials. So the JC Whitney ground straps won't help. The charge is generated between your seats and your clothing. You can wipe your seats with soapy water to trap a layer of moisture onto the surface or just use the back of your hand to touch metal to drain the charge when leaving the vehicle.

·
Registered
11,352 Posts
Modern tires don't have as much carbon black as they used to. Believe it or not, tires contribute to grounding which prevents getting shocked from static electricity. I've heard of new tires that actually have a conductor tread for this very reason. Not sure if you could get such a performance tire or a tire that will fit a vintage Mustang. Anyway, that's a big factor. (The old story that tires insulate and that's why cars are safe in a lightning storm is completely false. Most cars are safe in an lightning storm because the metal body acts as a faraday cage which moves the lightning safely around the passenger compartment. As for fiberglass cars, I don't know. But I do know modern, carbon fiber airplanes have to be made with copper mesh to protect them from lightning.)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts