Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Steel wool for glass

2K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  MarkStang 
#1 ·
I remember someone asking a while ago about what to use to clean his windows. Someone suggested steel wool and I believe they said something like 0000. I am just trying to verify the details because my memory is foggy and I need to clean up my windows as well.

#2 ·
Not sure about steel wool, would expect 0000 would be OK.

I just used some fine polishing compund on my '68 coupes rear that had been sitting for.... a real long time. ~5 years with me and even longer from the PO.

Totally crud covered... a quick rinse, then the polishing compound and it came up pretty good....

I did spot test on a small area of scrap glass I had first to be sure it wouldn't scuff... different grits might damage the glass..

#3 ·
Yep, I use #0000 steel wool all the time on glass, stainless, chrome, and some aluminum. You must always check the metal surface prior to using as it can scratch if rubbed to hard. I have never hurt the glass with it.

#6 ·
Yes, 0000 is excellent for glass. On really tough stuff you can go with 000. Don't use it on anything else, it will scratch. You can use steel wool on chrome only if you are trying to make it look acceptable for a little longer until you can replace it. Steel wool puts very fine scratches on chrome that never come back out. Likewise other metal trim but that can usually be buffed out. No such problem with most all glass except mirror glass. You can hand scrub all the window glasses as much as you like with 0000 and they will only get shinier. Just watch the metal trim pieces.

#7 ·
I am pretty sure I was the guy. I have only used 0000 ever since I was 20 or so. Bugs...goodbuy, simple dry. You will get wool dust. You will also get perfect molten from the factory clean glass with no streaks at all. I use it on most metal too... do not rub hard on chrome and you are good to go. Just be aware all metal and chrome is not the same, test it. the result is deep color.

#13 ·
gotstang said:
truck90278 said:
Instead os steel, get some bronz wool, need extrememy fine. you should be able to get it at most marine supply stores
I agree, this is a much better idea than steel wool, which can get stuck in there and start to rust. :skullnbones:
Get stuck in what ...where... Please tell me you have used steel wool and are speaking from experience over a long period of time.

#15 ·
When I use steel wool it "sheds" as it wears the pad down. These wool particles can pile up and over time rust. Think excessive glass scrubbing and particles piling up under and the edge of windshield and rear glass trim. I have experienced exactly that.
A simple blast of compressed air takes care of the particles easily. Or a high pressure water rinse. In other situations I've used a magnet to help remove these particles.

#18 ·
...i see, I always blew off my car at that point too. Never gave it a thought, logically that was part of the price for an amazingly clear windshield.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.