Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the middle of restoration and its steering time...
I will restore control valve, and put bunch of new stuff..
My problems & Q

does this angle on threaded piece of central link is normal ??

What is this "pin" for.? secure after adjusting ? Do I adjust here center of pitman arm and idler ? How to take the pin out?

And one recommendation for slave steering cylinder.. Mine is dead :) rod is bend and in one place (in the middle) is damage and corosion... not for restoration...
I read alot before my any next move because of time for shipping to croatia and money :)
Problem is that rewievs on cj pony where i buy there is no good cylinder.. they say they leak fast, bent rod.....
Where to buy something good but not for 400$.... some name of the internet shop or link and any sugestions.

Tnx..

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Yes, the bend is the way it should be. The broken off roll pin (A must) can't be removed. You will need to drill another 1/8" hole right beside that broken off one. DO NOT attempt to drill out the hard steel roll pin. If want to try, order a 50 pound box of 1/8" bits before you start.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Roll pin positions the valve to it's correct orientation on the centerlink, and helps keep the valve from rotating off center.
As far as cylinder, we have them new.

·
Registered
9,223 Posts
Yup. Those broken off roll pins are nearly impossible to easily remove. Most people just re-drill them.

If you want to remove 'em use an eighth inch carbide ball burr. You'd need to chock the centerlink in a 2-way vise,
with the vise mounted to the table of a drill press.

Position control is critical, hence the 2-way vise to establish and stay on center.
Spin it up, use coolant and cut it out. Take you maybe 60 seconds. Setting it up, quite
a bit longer...... maybe 5 minutes.

Fuller transmission (semi truck) mainshaft roll pins can be done in this manner.
(commonly these shafts are tossed in the trash because most machine shops can't get the split pins out.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tnx for replays...
Is there a guide how to adjust that thread ?? or i just put it back where it was ?

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
The process is in the shop manual. Page 3-48 in the 67 manual. For the distance it says:

INSTALLATION
1. Thread the valve onto the center link until about four threads are still visible on the link.
2. Position the ball stud in the sector shaft arm.
3. Measure the distance between the center of the grease plug in the sleeve and the center of the stud at
the inner end of the left spindle connecting rod Fig. 8. The distance should be 5 5/8 inches for Comet,
Falcon and Fairlane vehicles. The distance should he 5 inches for Mustang and Cougar models. It the distance
is not correct, disconnect the ball stud from the sector shaft arm and turn the valve on the center link to
increase or decrease the distance.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
I turned the shaft 180 degrees and drilled a 1/8” hole from the other side then drove the roll pin out from the back. Used a regular drill till I hit the pin, then a carboloy drill for a 1/16” into the roll pin.
All done in a vertical milling machine with proper protocols to ensure center lines and location.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great.. new informations to work with. tnx.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts