Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Made some progress and wanted to share a bit.
First, sent my steering box to stangersite and got back a brand new looking and working steering box. Huge difference and pretty darn reasonable. Thanks Randy!
Second, installed a Hurst shifter I got on Ebay for about $50. I had been looking for a while but had my hear set on spending less than $70. If you have the stock T5 shifter you owe it to yourself to pick one of these up. Probably one of the best bang-for-the-buck mods I have done. The throw is about 30% less and with the stops you get a real solid "click" when it goes into gear. I will never have another stock T5 shifter in any car...
Just wanted to share...

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Which PN Hurst shifter did you buy? I may be in the market for one...

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Me Too.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not sure of the exact model. It came used in a Pro 5.0 box. I did a quick check of Summit and it looks like their standard billet/plus. It is spring-loaded and has the adjustable shift stops. I can take a picture if needed. It feels rock solid. Highly recomended. But, I would change the shifter out before you install the tranny as it is a little tougher unless you trim the opening a little.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dimensions? Do you mean for the plate?

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Just to note... The early hurst T5 shifters have the same throw as a stock shifter. The only thing that gives it the reduced throw is the shorter stick. I'm not sure how the newer gold anodized ones compare to the early ones...

The positive stops and the elimination of the rubber isolator are two good things since the feel is much better, and damage to the shifter forks is reduced...

My reccomendation would be to stay away from this style...

http://members.aol.com/wake074/shifter.jpg

For what it's worth, I removed a used one like this for a new MAC shifter... Very short shifts to with the short handle. It looks every bit as good as the old hurst T5 if not better. The handle is nothing fancy, but for $129 at MU it works good. I can't see spending too much for such a simple device.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry. You meant the shift lever...
I don't have a PN because I got it from a forum member and there is no # on it. It is approx 9 1/2" tall and goes back about 3". It is not ideal but I have gotten used to it. I would prefer the same rise and about another 1 to 1 1/2" further back. Before I got this one I went on the Hurst website and you can look through all the levers with the measurements. I balked at paying $70 for a piece of chromed steel...

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Perhaps. I can post a pic if you would like.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
too 'spensize lucy. Maybe someday after wheels, tires, locker, paint and body, intake and heads.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts