Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1965 Coupe C-Code
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard everything from just pop it out the bottom to take the engine out. But what I've never found is a video of some actually doing it. One way to fix that. Do it yourself and film it!

I'm not sure how much of a difference it made but I do have headers that are thinner and maybe closer to the engine that the cast iron manifold? Just meant we didn't have to lever the engine over as much, I think. Now that I've done it I'm really confident that this is actually a pretty easy job. I hope after watching this video you think the same thing.

Note that at the same time as replacing the box I'm also replacing every other steering component, the only things I'm keeping are the steering wheel and the column.

Let me know if you have any questions and hopefully you have plenty of comments.

·
Registered
1965 Coupe C-Code
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good job. Mine is still original and at about 140k miles, no doubt it could use a rebuild - someday.
The problem with addressing the steering is only one person really enjoys it, the driver. Everything else about it is unsexy. "Hey, look, I just replaced the entire steering system!" Everyone else <crickets>

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Mine came out easier than that.

I have AC, export brace and curved Monte Carlo bar.

I had the car on a quick jack and the box was jammed against one of the exhaust manifold bolts.

I sprayed WD 40 on the manifold and shock tower, got under the car and pushed on the box with the handle of a BFH while my SIL pilled from the top.

The box came out between the tower and cylinder head. I had removed the last plug and valve cover.

I was shocked that it came out. I had the sawzall ready to go.

·
Registered
1965 Coupe C-Code
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mine came out easier than that.

I have AC, export brace and curved Monte Carlo bar.

I had the car on a quick jack and the box was jammed against one of the exhaust manifold bolts.

I sprayed WD 40 on the manifold and shock tower, got under the car and pushed on the box with the handle of a BFH while my SIL pilled from the top.

The box came out between the tower and cylinder head. I had removed the last plug and valve cover.

I was shocked that it came out. I had the sawzall ready to go.
We never got close to the last plug. Did youtake it out just out of precaution?

I also had a sawsall I was about to grab. But since I had the new box standing by I wanted to pull the old one out complete so the new one could slip right back in the same way.

·
Registered
6,753 Posts
@swooshdave How do you like that LED magnetic light I saw attached to the hood of your car? I have one and absolutely love it. Nice strong magnet, a bit stiff to swivel but that's nice because it then doesn't just flop around, and USB chargeable! I have yet to use it beyond its lowest setting.

·
Registered
1965 Coupe C-Code
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@swooshdave How do you like that LED magnetic light I saw attached to the hood of your car? I have one and absolutely love it. Nice strong magnet, a bit stiff to swivel but that's nice because it then doesn't just flop around, and USB chargeable! I have yet to use it beyond its lowest setting.
Let’s put it this way, I have three of them. 😁

1 - 11 of 11 Posts