Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm currently rebuilding a 16:1 ratio steering box for a 66 mustang that had a tag with HCC AW 6D12B. my question is the races for the 2 worm gear bearings that are in the box have a bearing under the race! The races both spin freely, but the rebuild kit races are just standard fixed races. do I leave the old races? I like the idea of them being able to freely turn (less friction) or do i just put the new fixed ones in?

·
Registered
36,572 Posts
I'd replace the entire bearing assembly. How about a photo?

·
Premium Member
1966 Mustang Hardtop 289 4 Speed
6,763 Posts
I'll gladly come clean here. I tackled a rebuild of my steering box too. I was confident that I installed all the new parts correctly but wasn't as confident on adjusting the set screw. I installed it back in the car but had 2nd thoughts. I thought all it would take for this box to lock up was just 1 of those ball bearings to come loose. If I ever sell this car I will sleep much better knowing that I ended up sending it to Chockostang and had it done correctly. Don't risk your life or someone else's for the price of a professional rebuild.

·
Premium Member
13,388 Posts
the rebuild kit races are just standard fixed races

That sounds to me like you are talking about the nylon thrust bearings that some companies sell. Those are a complete waste of time and money. True thrust bearings are relatively expensive compared to roller bearings. Don't even consider those cheap nylon "bearings".

·
Registered
10,296 Posts
I'd replace the entire bearing assembly. How about a photo?
Yeah. I'd like to see that too. I'm confused by what you're trying to describe.
There are two taper roller bearings in those steering boxes..... consisting of two rolling elements that
have the ball bearings and two fixed races. The fixed races are pressed into the top removable piece
(screw-in) piece and the bottom race is pressed into the cast iron case itself.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

·
Registered
10,296 Posts
That looks like the race that goes in the upper position..... that race has to come out. Doesn't look like the correct OD
to fit in there? The race that does go there gets tapped or pressed into place. It's a tight fit.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

·
Registered
986 Posts
Haven't rebuilt my steering box myself but I did send it off to Chock to be reconditioned. Came back in perfect working order, to factory specs, and painted.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I sent mine off to Chockostang and had it rebuilt, no issues and it looks pretty after Dan was done. Same thing with the power steering pump.

·
Registered
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
4,421 Posts
One of the first things I plan on doing once I dig back into mine (March 2020) is to pull the box out, call up Dan, ask him a million questions, and then move on from there. Some things I've done myself, like making my own brake lines (I know, I know), but I don't want to mess with my steering box. At least with my brake lines I would have had to screw up twice to get into trouble. Steering and it's one and done....

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
You have correct races if both new and old look like picture. IF your old races spin in the piece you show picture of, and in the bottom case, you got a bad race in there, or race is defective.
If the races has been turning, wiggling in the bores, I'll guarantee you have junk case.
If the races fit tight (As 289GT has stated), you are good to try and build your box.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts