Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm contemplating changing to a CPP steering box but they mostly do Chevy stuff and I'm not convinced they know exactly what I need.
I have a 69 Mach with power steering and I'm wondering how the steering column attaches to the rag joint. I've heard the following:
3/4 diameter-32 spline, 3/4-36, 3/4-DD, 1-DD, and one said it bolted onto the rag joint.
Does anyone KNOW, and maybe have pictures? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Here is the rag joint on my 67 which I am in the process of converting to Borgeson. It is a 3/4-36 on the column side. As for bolting on, there is an allan screw on the side to hold it in place, with a nut on it to secure the screw onces its in place. You can see that on the far side of the rag joint in the pic. I realize it's not the same year, but hopefully this gets you closer.

When I purchased the bearing kit from MustangSteve, there was also a 1" shaft option, so that is in the mix somewhere, but I dont know what application uses those.

And the specs on the part at Summit, showing the spline count and size: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/brg-052534

·
Registered
773 Posts
Don't have enough info to tell you what you need as I know nothing about the CPP box. What does the end of your steering rod look like, is it splined (grooves) or is it notched (round with flat side, looking like a D).
This will determine the type of joint needed: eg., 3/4-DD would be without splines, as the DD is for flat sided and 3/4-36 fits splined, 36 would be the # of splines

Brad, the 1" shaft is for 65 - early 67 Mustangs with V8. It's the size of shaft that attaches to the pitman arm.

You can try contacting CHUCKOSTANG on this site, as he is a wealth of knowledge in this field.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I sent an email to Chuckostang.
I've read that the 69-70s have a collapsible column. There is a collar on the end of the column, and a bracket from the collar to the rag joint. I've turned the column 360 degrees and don't find a bolt or set screw to hold it on the column, so I'm guessing the collar and bracket are permanently attached- welded to the column. The bracket bolts to the rag joint, so maybe that's the only place it comes apart?
This is dang near impossible to get to without taking out the power brake booster, or maybe from the bottom.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Thanks guys, I sent an email to Chuckostang.
I've read that the 69-70s have a collapsible column. There is a collar on the end of the column, and a bracket from the collar to the rag joint. I've turned the column 360 degrees and don't find a bolt or set screw to hold it on the column, so I'm guessing the collar and bracket are permanently attached- welded to the column. The bracket bolts to the rag joint, so maybe that's the only place it comes apart?
This is dang near impossible to get to without taking out the power brake booster, or maybe from the bottom.
Just sent you a E Mail.

Call--I got several questions.

Dan

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I spoke with Dan at Chuckostang. He informs me that the rag joint for a standard column is the same for 68-70. You can buy a rebuild kit from them or ship your entire system (pump, cylinder and, box if you like) to them for rebuild and get it back with the hoses attached and just have to bolt it in place.
It's good to get straight answers from a expert- call Chuckostang!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts