Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This little piece has been a pain... well trying to find the screws for it at least. It has one screw but the second has been MIA for years. The one screw holds ok but have to re-tighten every so often. I have taken the screw that is currently in there to a hardware store where they have tons of screw options (not HD or Lowes, though did try them as well)... couldnt find a match. Cant completely remove the collar being I cant remove every single part of the steering assembly, no puller. Anyone have any idea? Here is a pic of the part im talking about... per this site it shows as a 63-66 Galaxie; 62-66 Fairlane; 61-72 F-Series w/ Floor Shifter... not the traditional collar for a mustang.

Attachments

·
Registered
297 Posts
Hardware stores are fairly useless in regards to vehicle/machine fasteners. Go to a "bolt/fastener" store.
They can measure/determine thread pitch/type and supply correct fasteners.
If you/friend has a tap & die set, even the cheapest ones include an imperial thread pitch gauge.. measure/gauge it up and go in informed..
If you don't/can't, the staff at the bolt shop are able to do it for you.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
13,233 Posts
Are you sure it's a screw and not a bolt with a T head? I'm sure I recall T head bolts being used somewhere in the upper part of the steering column.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you sure it's a screw and not a bolt with a T head? I'm sure I recall T head bolts being used somewhere in the upper part of the steering column.
There is an actual screw in it at the moment... not placed by me. A bolt would make more sense but even the screw itself is pretty dated and not standard.

Finding an actual bolt store might prove more luck. Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,124 Posts
Fasten-al or Fastenal is the name of a store I have around here that can order just about anything. There are lots of old salvaged Mustangs Falcons Etc out there with the part you need, may be available on eBay or something

·
Registered
297 Posts
Got a pic of what's in there at the moment? Next to a ruler for scale?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts