Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after two years it's time to re-install the steering column in my 70. I have installed the "L" shaped bracket the the left upper corner of the opening in the lower dash. I have the bracket bolted to the steering column itself, but now I can't figure out how to mount the bracket to the underside of the opening in the lower dash. It seems like the "L" bracket is in the way, yet my book shows that bracket should be there. Unfortunately, the osborne book doesn't show the column installation. Any suggestions on how thing tie together in this area? I see the illustrations of the instrument panel to cowl brace and am curious as to whether the bolts which hold up the steering column bracket are supposed to thread through the instrument panel and terminate in the panel to cowl brace? Boy, I wish my neighbor had a 70 stang I could take a peek at. Darn pontiac owners (haha).

thanks for the help, to all who reply. Got to get the car running cause I am walking until the stang is on the road.

sure it's fun, but it's only a car.

G

·
0 Posts
Email me at [email protected] , perhaps I can send you some pictures of my installation. My car only has the lower dash and steering column in it now and perhaps a photo would help you. It's late for me now , and my brain is not functioning , I should be able to snap some photos after work tomorrow.

70 SCJ R-CODE MACH 1
88 GT

G

·
0 Posts
I also have pictures if you email me. The L bracket should be installed after you move the column up against the bottom of the dash. Two of the bolts secure the column to the dash and the L bracket secures to the side of the dash and to a bolt on the column closer to the firewall.

1970 Mach 1 Concours Trailered
1970 Mach 1 Driver

1 - 3 of 3 Posts