Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am attempting to swap a 68 non-tilt collapsible column into my 66 FB. Question, is the steering box side of this coupler integral to the steering box or is it a separate flanged piece. If it's a separate piece, does anyone have one lying around. Thanks, Bob.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
On a 68 the rag joint is a separate item, it slips onto the splines of the short shaft from the steering box and is secured by a single bolt. The end of the steering shaft is "D" shaped and goes into the other end of the rag joint. It is also secured by a single bolt.

[color:blue]68 GT500</font color=blue>
[color:green]68 1/2 CJ Coupe</font color=green>

MCA# 18519

G

·
0 Posts
I want to say that you need the short shaft steering box from either a 67 with tilt wheel or a 68. Not sure if all 68's had the short shaft steering box. When I added the tilt wheel to my 67 I had to replace the steering box to the short shaft style. SHELBY is correct about the 68, I would add that the short shaft steering box along with rag joint is integral. Meaning that you must use this type of box if your column has a rag joint on it already OR has the D shaped end. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
652 Posts
You could also cut your long shaft down and mate it up to a needle bearing
U-joint. I did this myslef when I put a '68 column into my '67 with the long
shaft. The U-joint was about $70 from Flaming River.

Rich
'67 C-code 'vert (Dees67)
'69 GT Project car - For Sale
Milford, NH

1 - 4 of 4 Posts