Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never rebuilt a steering column before. The column from my 1970 Mach 1 has about 250,000 miles on it. Thus, I assume any wearable parts are worn out. So, what do I need to replace?

Looking on the NPD web site, it appears I need an upper bearing, some kind of nylon bearing, lower seal and a firewall seal. Other than cleaning and painting everything, what else would I need?

As for the original rimblow steering wheel, I don't know what to do about that. From what I've read on the rimblow restoration web sites, my wheel is too far gone to be a good candidate for them to restore. Nobody reproduces the 1970 rimblow. I'm thinking about trying to restore it myself. All it will cost me is some epoxy putty, some paint and a lot of time. I certainly can't make it any worse.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Got a picture of the steering wheel? As long as the electrical harness looks good and you're not having any issues, it sounds like you have a pretty good handle on the rest of it.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Here are some pics of the steering wheel.

That wheel can be repaired. Mine was just like that. It came out perfect. I have done three. The last two I used a two part JB weld and another product. The kind in a tube where you break off and mix what you need. The JB weld did not shrink and crack. The other product did.

·
Hi, how ya doin
2,207 Posts
Klutch,
Here are some pics from when I rebuilt the steering column in my 69 Coupe. It was not hard to do, just a little time & patience when reassembling it. Just remember the turn signal switch has to go in when installing the upper housing because the turn signal switch plug does not fit through the upper housings. I found that out the hard way. I also had to search for the correct upper steering column bearing, the C7SZ3517C one that CJ Pony Parts sells that says it is for 67-72 Mustangs is too big & does NOT fit. IIRC I think I got the right size upper steering column bearing & bearing sleeve from Late Model Restoration. (see pics & description.)

I replaced the lower steering column tube bearing,
https://www.musclecarresearch.com/C9AZ-7347-A

steering column shaft insulator,
https://www.musclecarresearch.com/C9AZ-3E629-A

sector tube seal,
https://www.musclecarresearch.com/C9AZ-7C102-A

upper steering column tube bearing,
https://lmr.com/item/LRS-3517/79-93-mustang-upper-steering-column-bearing

upper steering column tube bearing sleeve,
https://lmr.com/item/LRS-7993E2/Steering-Column-Tube-Upper-Bearing-Sleeve-Mustang-79-93

·
Registered
10,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That wheel can be repaired. Mine was just like that. It came out perfect. I have done three. The last two I used a two part JB weld and another product. The kind in a tube where you break off and mix what you need. The JB weld did not shrink and crack. The other product did.
Thanks, Ben. Did you have the best luck with the regular JB Weld that's sold in hardware stores? Sounds like the stuff that cracked is the epoxy putty I was looking at using.

·
Registered
10,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Klutch,
Here are some pics from when I rebuilt the steering column in my 69 Coupe. It was not hard to do, just a little time & patience when reassembling it. Just remember the turn signal switch has to go in when installing the upper housing because the turn signal switch plug does not fit through the upper housings. I found that out the hard way. I also had to search for the correct upper steering column bearing, the C7SZ3517C one that CJ Pony Parts sells that says it is for 67-72 Mustangs is too big & does NOT fit. IIRC I think I got the right size upper steering column bearing & bearing sleeve from Late Model Restoration. (see pics & description.)
Thanks, Mike. That's very helpful! I have the Dark Charcoal Metallic interior paint in a rattle can from NPD. Will that work for painting the column?

·
Hi, how ya doin
2,207 Posts
Thanks, Mike. That's very helpful! I have the Dark Charcoal Metallic interior paint in a rattle can from NPD. Will that work for painting the column?
Klutch,
The paint you have should be the proper color. I just painted my column satin black because I had painted the lower dash satin black & I wanted them to match.

·
Registered
521 Posts
REF: Steering Wheel Rebuild Service

Regarding your steering wheel: It can be completely refurbished by a fellow who specializes in just this. You can see how mine turned out – which was fantastic (better than new)! He’s not cheap, but if you want it done right this would be the guy. If interested I’ll find his name and contact info for you.
-Gary –

P.S. – I’ve also got a lot of detailed pictures of the 1970 Mach column assembly with all its inner seals and nylon spacing parts if you need to know how it is supposed to all go together. Without these in place the column will rattle as you drive. All these inner parts are available.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
REF: Steering Wheel Rebuild Service

Regarding your steering wheel: It can be completely refurbished by a fellow who specializes in just this. You can see how mine turned out – which was fantastic (better than new)! He’s not cheap, but if you want it done right this would be the guy. If interested I’ll find his name and contact info for you.
-Gary –

P.S. – I’ve also got a lot of detailed pictures of the 1970 Mach column assembly with all its inner seals and nylon spacing parts if you need to know how it is supposed to all go together. Without these in place the column will rattle as you drive. All these inner parts are available.
Gary - I am very interested in your pics of the column - I need to rebuild mine (or have it rebuilt) and the more info the better.

Thanks,
Mark

·
Super Moderator
10,031 Posts
Car Craft did an article years ago, seemed pretty straight forward. The main issue is using a filler that won't shrink.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Klutch,

I replaced the lower steering column tube bearing,
C9AZ-7347-A Lower Steering Column Tube Bearing | Muscle Car Research LLC

steering column shaft insulator,
C9AZ-3E629-A Steering Column Shaft Insulator | Muscle Car Research LLC

sector tube seal,
C9AZ-7C102-A Transmission Selector Tube Seal | Muscle Car Research LLC

upper steering column tube bearing,
Mustang Upper Steering Column Bearing (79-93) F23Z-3517

upper steering column tube bearing sleeve,
Mustang Steering Column Tube Upper Bearing Sleeve (79-93) E2AZ-3518
MikeG69,

Thanks for the great info on parts. I am about to begin a 70 tilt column rebuild, so those links should be very useful

Your post indicates there are pics of your column rebuild - unfortunately, they seem to have disappeared. Would you mind reposting your pics?

Thanks,
Mark

·
Premium Member
682 Posts
Klutch, I had a pretty trashed 69 wheel restored and it came back AMAZING. So amazing, I decided I could do that myself with some patience. I see the challenge being to paint the wood grain effect. I did a lot of searching and not a lot out there telling you how to do it. So I'm going to experiment painting woodgrain before I actually paint it.

Eastwood sells a book (and a kit) on restoring steering wheels. It was pretty basic (obvious) and no help as to how to go about achieving a wood grain effect. As far as fixing cracks / splits, I'm using this.

I've used it for other things and it does not shrink or crack and works well. I used it to port a blue thunder intake to match the ported 4-V heads on one of my Cleveland. Fuel doesn't affect it.

·
Registered
10,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I made my original post here over three years ago. But it's still applicable. While I finished the steering column, my factory rimblow still sits, unrestored, in my basement. I'm currently working out some mechanical issues with my Mach 1. Eventually, I'll get around to dealing with the steering wheel.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts