Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The gearbox, control valve and linkages have been rebuilt. Now for the column.
Has anyone rebuilt a 68 non-tilt steering column? Does'nt look like there is much to it, but I've been wrong before.

Any tips or pics would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
The rebuild as far as replacing seals/bearings, is easy. The problem is that none of those things will compensate for a worn out ball nut and sector gear, and those two items take the brunt of the wear problem and are usually the main cause of a sloppy steering. Neither is avaliable as new.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The rebuild as far as replacing seals/bearings, is easy. The problem is that none of those things will compensate for a worn out ball nut and sector gear, and those two items take the brunt of the wear problem and are usually the main cause of a sloppy steering. Neither is avaliable as new.
I'm speaking of the steering column, not the gearbox. I have already completed the gearbox.

Thanks,

·
Registered
532 Posts
I did my 68 column. Very easy and straight forward, but if I'm not mistaken there were some parts that were hard to find. The bearing I think it was, anyway you should make sure you have all the parts before tearing in to it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts