Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any tips on removing steering column on a 65 Mustang? I have already removed the wheel, column cover, and all that is left is the steering column shaft itself. No matter how hard I try, I cannot get it to come loose from the steering gear. I am trying to remove the clutch pedal support and it seems like it would be easier with the column out of the way. Any tips??

1965 Mustang coupe
1961 Thunderbird
1983 Monte Carlo Conv.
Yeah, thats right...Convertible!!! With flamethrowers!!!

·
Registered
652 Posts
It doesn't come loose from the steering gear unless you disassemble the entire gear.
If you want the column out of the car (and out of the way), you're going to need to unbolt
the steering box from the frame rail and remove it from the car entirely. And unless you
have a lift so you can drop it out the bottom of the engine bay, you'll probably need to
remove an assortment of gear from the engine to allow you the clearance to lift the box
up and out.

If you do a search here, you'll find a few other posts which detail the stuff you'll need to take
out to get clearance for removing the box from above. If memory serves, this involves at
least the exhaust manifold and possibly the master cylinder. Maybe one of the '65/'66
crowd can supply more details.

Rich
'67 C-code 'vert (Dees67)
'69 GT FB (project car)
Check out my band: Brickyard Blues

·
Registered
529 Posts
Dees67 is right. In 65-66 cars, the steering column shaft is an integral part of the steering gear box, meaning you have to remove the box to remove the shaft. I've done it, it's not real hard but it involves a lot of steps. You can remove the gear from above the car by removing the pitman arm, LH exhaust manifold, LH plug wires, A/C compressor if you have one, clutch equalizer bar, LH motor mount through bolt, and jacking up the engine about 2" on the left side. After all that, it should lift up and out easily.

Vintage Burgundy 1966 Mustang GT Fastback (Midlife's younger brother)
MCA member #46447
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1582316&a=12109501&p=45219402.jpg

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
Are you looking to remove the outer column or the steering shaft ? Others have responded to the question as the shaft and in turn the steering box. Just wanted to make sure we understood

Jeff Speegle
MCA Shelby Gold Card

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/6473
Mustang & Shelby research, documentation, and help.
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1609818&a=12284202&p=44925357.jpg

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The shaft.... thanks

1965 Mustang coupe
1961 Thunderbird
1983 Monte Carlo Conv.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I hope beating on it with my BFH didn't do any damage....I guess I shoulda' asked first...
Some guys never learn!!

1965 Mustang coupe
1961 Thunderbird
1983 Monte Carlo Conv.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts