Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1966 289 Mustang GT that I would like to convert the power steering over to manual steering. Can I just take the pump and ram off the steering arm or is there more to it?

·
Registered
758 Posts
You'll need the pump, ram, and hoses, as well as a new center drag link with the power steering valve on it. All of these items should be new or rebuilt, unless you like leaks and erratic operation. :)

You may need new idler and pitman arms to go with the center link - some years share PS/MS parts, some don't. 67-8 don't and I had to get new arms for a PS to MS swap; I don't know about the 65-6s. If you have to swap these, or want to to replace worn or suspect parts, check into the Shelby quick-steer set instead of stock parts.

If you have a 19:1 manual steering box, you'll probably want to upgrade to the quicker 16:1 box - get a good one like a Flaming River, or rebuild your own to tight tolerances.

After that, it's pretty much a bolt-in.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Yes. Take all that crap off. Replace the drivers outer tie rod end and the center link. That is the bare minimum, but if you are running old stuff you mind as well swap it all out. All meaning the outer and inner tie rod ends, and a center link. Maybe even the adjuster sleeves.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts