Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does there happen to be any specific kind of Lubricant in the steering gear box? I just recently started putting the suspension back into the car and noticed that the gear box was making a little bit of a noise when turning the shaft. I dont think the noise was there before, but its been so long I really dont remember.

TIA
SCOTT
65CONV, C-CODE, T10, 4BBL
ITS ALMOST DRIVABLE, WOOO-HOOOO

·
Registered
935 Posts
Use a moly based chassis grease. Thats what Ford used. It is light enough that the heat from the exhaust will soften it and let it flow around inside the box while turning - yet thick enough that it will stick to the gears and lubricate.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
would you be able to give me a specific brand and where I might be able to pick some up. Also how much do you fill up the box, lightly/loaded or just alittle in between?

Thanx again
Scott

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
Ford Spec chassis grease.... Available in tubes at NAPA or other places that carry Valvoline products.
I pack all I can in the steering box.

·
Registered
935 Posts
You should be able to get it at any auto store. I buy the cartridges like those that fit into a grease gun.
Turn the steering wheel all the way to the right.This brings the rack block up into the housing so that it is no longer under the grease plug. Remove the grease filler plug. The top plate is held on by three 1/2" head bolts - remove the one farthest from the grease fill plug. Put the hose end of the grease gun into the grease filler plug hole and pump grease into the box. When grease starts to come out the open cover bolt hole, stop. This means that the open area under the filler plug is full of grease all the way to the other side of the housing. Reinstall the filler plug and cover bolt. Now when you turn the car back to the left, all that grease you pumped in will be forced around the rack block and sector gear inside the box and should continue to lubricate.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
It is a special grease only available from the dealer it meets the NLGI 1 spec. If you read the labels on the aftermarket greases you will see they do not meet this spec.
Ford lube Spec M1C87-A, Motorcraft part # XG1-C
Also available from GM dealers as #1052182 and from Saab as 30-08-703

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I second SuperCJ's reply regarding Motorcraft # XG 1-C grease for the steering box. I purchased a tube for the Fastback from my local Ford dealer.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks again guys for all the replys. I think I'll try to get the
XG1-C from the local ford dealer. Hopefully i'll get it running soon, I have a few new pics as well that i'll post asap.

SCOTT
65CONV, C-CODE, T10, 4BBL
ITS ALMOST DRIVABLE, WOOOHOOOO

·
Registered
1 Posts
steering gear

Thanks to all for steering gear info. My 66 mustang near done. Working out final details like keeping stock power steering or upgrade to flaming river cradle system etc. For now want to see what I can get out of stock with lube and adjustments. Thanks again. If we could all get together what great cars would build or what great debates we would have.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts