Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to take my steering gear off of my 67 fastback last night and I could not seperate it from the shaft or column. I have the steering whl removed and the column loose. Can anyone tell me what if anything else needs to come apart in order to get the steering gear off. I am trying to finish my engine bay and that is the last thing in my way.

Thanks for any insight.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
It being a 67, it might have a long steering shaft. I think you have to take off the steering box on the frame, remove the pitman arm, or at least remove it form the drag link. Three bolts hold it to the frame, then I think it just slides out. If it has a ragjoint, then remove the two nuts at the joint and it should free up.

·
Registered
365 Posts
My '67 has the long shaft steering box and I had to use my long Craftsman prybar to get the column loosened up enough to slide off the shaft. After removing the steering wheel nut, steering wheel and removing the bolts holding the column to the dash, I could't even budge the column off of the shaft. Prying against the steering box where the column ends broke it loose with barely any effort and it just slid off from there.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I am trying to pull these apart right now, and not having any luck with it. The shop manual I have doesn't cover this well, or I am just being a tad retarded tonight because I don't get it. Does the steering wheel have to come off, or can I separate the column from the box with it on?

·
Registered
441 Posts
Thanks. I will have to get a correct puller tomorrow. The one i have is for modern cars I am guessing, but it worked great for getting the pitman arm off. All this to change out my toeboards....... The fun continues.

I don't see how to do this in my book at all. I have to have to wrong book. Once the wheel is off, what do I do??

Jon

Edit:

The book i have is the 1966 Comet, Falcon, Fairlane, and Mustang Shop Manual. Is there a better book I should have? I have seen a number of posts referencing different ones. Probably should just buy them all and save myself all the lost time and frustration posting questions and banging stuff up trying the wrong methods.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I bought a Haynes manual while I was buying the stering wheel puller, and it made this make a whole lot more sense. It only took about 2 minutes to pull out, and reassemble and store once I had the book and tool.

Thanks for the help.

Jon

1 - 7 of 7 Posts