Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished up my 65 and have been driving it the past 2 weeks and noticed one thing...my steering is tight when I'm driving slower or cruising. If I am accelerating more then normal or driving above 50 or 55 the steering gets really loose and the car tends to weave from side to side.

All the parts are brand new and I just checked to make sure the steering and suspension components are tight. It is just plain manual steering not PS or rack and pinion.

Any ideas on what the problem might be? I was wondering if it could be something in the steering box?

·
Registered
470 Posts
Alignment, probably toe in (lack of) and/or caster (needs a little more degrees positive). If you had it aligned you might have got a bad job.

Doug

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
You need more caster. Stock specs are too conservative. At least 2 degrees, 3 is better.

Your low speed steering effort will increase but tracking at higway speeds will improve.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok thanks guys! I'll take a look at the sheet they gave me when I got it aligned.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That might be the problem. My caster is at -.4 and .1 I'll have to go back and get them to change that. What should my toe in be at?

I did a shelby drop, would change any of these specs?

·
Registered
746 Posts
Day has a great write up on alignments, suspension and steering here:
http://home.bresnan.net/~dazed/suspension101

The recommended specs with modern tires and performance handling are below with or without the Shelby Drop:

These specifications are in order of importance.

1. NO more than .25 degrees difference between driver’s side and passenger’s side.

2. +2.0 to +3.5 degrees caster.

3. -.5 to 0 degrees camber. No positive camber, please. There is no problem having a slight variation from driver’s side to passenger’s side to account for the crown in the road.

4. 1/16" to 1/8” toe in

1 - 6 of 6 Posts