Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the answer is in my interchange manual here, somewhere...but I'm coming up empty this time. I have a 67 vert - looking at swapping out the power steering linkage, replacing it with manual. Found an opportunity to score a manual steering linkage from a 1970 Mach 1 with disc brakes, pitman arm to idler arm with inner and outer tie rod ends and manual center link. Will it work?

Thanks in Advance for you help!

-John

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Pitman arm is probably 1 inch on your 67 and 1 1/8 on the 70. Also you will have a 16-1 steering ratio not the 19-1 that is on a manual. It will steer quicker but a lot harder Gary

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Means switching out the steering box too? Curious to know how much of this assembly I need to chase down to make it fit and work. And at what point I should throw in the towel and say, just wait and swap for a 67 assembly when I find one? BTW - what can I expect to pay for a 67 manual linkage assembly? Input?

Thanks!

-John

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
the 1 inch steering boxes are long shaft. Go from box to the steering wheel. The 1 1/8 have a rag joint are short shaft. Getting complicated isn't it. Best to go with a 67 manual set up with new tie rod ends and idler. The 67 six and eight cylinder will fit. You might be able to live with the steering box that you have but the ladies won't like it. It will steer fairly hard when you are trying to park in the mall. I have done this to 10-12 cars and it takes getting used to the 16-1 manual ratio. The critical part is the manual 1 inch pitman arm. I don't know if they reproduce them or not. Gary

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great! Thanks for the knowledge...I'm off to look for a linkage...

BTW everyone: VMF Classifieds=great! Happened to be looking for an inexpensive c4 with all the trimmings, more than a dozen responses from you guys within 4 days of placing a thread in the parts wanted section. If there are any non-believers - try it! It works! Thanks to all who have helped - so far...;D

-JP

1 - 5 of 5 Posts