Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. One more thing on this all time taking project. How do I adjust the steering on my '68 mustang, 289 motor? It has a tendency to wonder when driving and is just loose. I see the steering box and there is a nut with an adjustment-looking inner piece. Anybody know the procedure to tighten up the steering? also, how do I re-grease it..I don't see a zerk fitting.

thanks, Jaime
ps. it has power steering.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
After you check every out you can adjust the play in the steering box Might be something else and could be a safety concern. if you take off the filler cap on the steering box and drill a hole in it you can put in a grease zerk. Use all purpose Moly grease Gary

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
There is a 3/8 " cap on top of the steering box for grease, a standard grease-gun will work fine for filling. Besides the steering box, I'd check tie rods, ball joints, controll arms, and all of the front end bushings. Ive seen too many mustangs that have been neglected in this area, its always best to check everything.

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
I adjusted mine as follows. I checked for play first by slightly turned the steering wheel back and forth. I noticed that the output shaft on the steering box was not turning, so I know I had play in the gear box. Mine is also a power steering car, so I'm assuming (you know what they say though) the box itself is in descent condition. The hydraulics do 95% of the work.

You have to be careful not to overtight the adjusting screw or you can put the gears in a bind. I had my son "rock the steering wheel back and forth as I adjusted the screw. I could actually "feel" the play reduce as I adjusted. I still have a little play, but it's much improved. It's the first time I've done it since I owned the car (27 years.)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts