Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! I'm still trying to figure out the slop in my 68's power steering. I have a quick question...

For a while I was thinking that the steering box was the problem, but I was messing around today and with the car not running, I grabbed the rag joint just before the steering box and rolled it left and right and watched the pitman arm. The pitman arm moved pretty much in sync with what I was doing, but where the pitman arm attached to the power steering (i'm not sure to what part the pitman arm attaches to) there was a lot of play there. The bolt that attached the pitman arm to the power steering moved with the pitman arm, so that leads me to believe the pitman arm hole hasnt been worn oblong. Is that amount of play normal in that part to where the pitman arm attaches? (Again, i'm not sure what the name of that part is, but I think its the control valve???)

·
Registered
571 Posts
Yeah, that's the steering control valve. Mine has quite a bit of play in it as well, and it's brand new as is the pitman arm. I don't know if it's supposed to b like that, but that's how it was before I replaced the parts, and it's the same now that they've been replaced.

·
Registered
35,891 Posts
The pitman arm moved pretty much in sync with what I was doing, but where the pitman arm attached to the power steering (i'm not sure to what part the pitman arm attaches to) there was a lot of play there. The bolt that attached the pitman arm to the power steering moved with the pitman arm, so that leads me to believe the pitman arm hole hasnt been worn oblong. Is that amount of play normal in that part to where the pitman arm attaches? (Again, i'm not sure what the name of that part is, but I think its the control valve???)
Yep, control valve. This is normal. Start the engine, and check again. Should be zero play. The PS system provides 800 psi, this pressure keeps the spool valve centered. If it's still sloppy with the engine running, odds are the valve needs rebuilt.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll check it again with the engine running, but it'll have to wait till tomorrow, as I took the battery out to clean up/spray paint the battery tray. Waiting for it to dry. The amount of play I have in my steering is I can turn the wheel between 11 and 2 o clock with the wheels not turning, or turning very little. Thats with the car running. I dont know if thats normal or not. If it were the steering box, I would turn the wheel and the pitman arm wouldnt turn, right?

·
Registered
35,891 Posts
Yep. Or the rag joint.

·
Registered
35,891 Posts
If the steering shaft turns, and there's play in the gearbox shaft, you need a new ring.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I had about the same if not a little more play in my PS steering however it was determined that the original steering gear box most likely had a worn worm gear and just wouldn't adjust anymore. I found a rebuilt box w/new pitman attached for $165 from someone on ebay back in '07 and finally installed it last year along w/new rag joint (the old one was the original one) and all the play went away. You should've seen the looks on peeps faces before whenever I'd drive next to them on the fwy w/my hand moving the wheel all sorts and nothing happening, that was a good way to always get some buffer space, hahaha.

If those parts are still the original ones you might want to consider replacing or rebuilding the box and replacing the joint and pitman arm if it's worn. I was glad my rebuilt box came w/a new pitman arm so I didn't have to wrestle that ginormous nut that had been torqued down on it since '68. I tried a couple of times to break it loose w/no success. Am a happy camper now. Just got to get to all the other stuff!

Good luck and let us know whatcha find wrong!

Oscar

·
Registered
247 Posts
There are a few guys here on the VMF that offer steering gear box and other components rebuild/repair services. Their websites are as follows:

http://www.stangerssite.com/ (I would try to contact Randy as he is always way busy from what I've read and very hard to get ahold of but does exceptional work for great prices.)

http://www.chockostangclassicmustang.com/home.html (Dan is the man at Chockostang!)

Shelby Parts and Restoration (Jim is the guy at Shelby Parts and some guys here have used him for PS rebuilds, he is in WI)

Then there is always the fleabay!

Good luck!

Oscar

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
started her up and had the wife move the steering wheel while i observed the control valve, box and pitman arm. THere appears to be some play at the control valve, but i read there was supposed to be some play there. But I dont know how much is normal, or how much is too much. Wish I had someone more knowledgable than me that could take a look at it.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
reviving this thread...

Can anyone answer my last question about the control valve? Should there be play at the control valve with the car running?

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
With a PS car you have to check everything with it running or you won't get accurate results. Read on the Stangerssite link above, he has tons of info. on PS.
I had ~2" of play when I first got my car, all original parts. I replaced the tie rods, idler, suspension and took ~1" out, then repacked the gearbox with fresh grease and took another 1/2" out. I have since had the gearbox rebuilt but haven't driven the car yet. 40+yr. old grease breaks down, I used a tube of ford spec gb grease.
Jon

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
reviving this thread...

Can anyone answer my last question about the control valve? Should there be play at the control valve with the car running?
Absolutely yes, the ball stud in the control valve is moving when the engine is running, BUT it is so quick in response it can not be percieved easily.

Back to basics here. The control valve is just that, a device that"Control-regulates? the flow of high pressure fluid to the two different sides of the cylinder. The high pressure fluid either pushs the ram out, or contracts it . "Hydraulics--Basic Hydraulics"

If there was no control valve this directing of the fluid could not be accomplished.

I tell folks to think of a log splitter, most of us have used one to split wood. Push the handle forward (Handle is attached to a Control valve) the ram goes out, splits the wood, then we push handle back, the ram retracts. When handle is in middle, there is no movement.

You are doing same task with your steering wheel. It moves the ball stud left, or right, which actuates the internal spool in the control valve to one way or another which pushes or pulls the ram. When it centers,(Wheels reach that point where the spool centers no fluid is flowing no movement) just as in the splitter.

The Ball stud has to move to accomplish this, move the spool off center left, or right to direct fluid.

Dan @ Chockostang

1 - 14 of 14 Posts