Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, back from my weekend camping at Yosemite. Wow, great fun. A 400 pound black bear snuck into the camp while we were around the campfire and got within 10 feet of us to rummage for food. Didn't seem the bear until it bit into a can of Pepsi and sprayed himself. Wow, was it exciting. It is amazing how long you can stay in your tent at night with a full bladder when you suspecta bear is roaming about 50 feet fro your tent flap. I'm not saying you can sleep!, but you can stay in your tent!

OK, back to the stang. For almost two year I have had a very bad slow speed front end vibration that would literally shake the entire front end of the car when turning. The shop could not id the problem. The solution was to drive fast, not slow. DUH. :: ANyway, it got worse and worse and finally, I lost power steering when turning right, then it eventually was a complete loss of power steering.

Today I went under the car to replace the control valve and cylinder. Wow, the drop bracket for the cyliner, required cause of full length headers, was dangling by a single bolt, which was loose. The other two bolts had ripped out of the frame rail and the frame rail, itself, was torn where the bracket had been welded to the frame rail. It literally tore the metal right next to the weld! Guess that exlpains a little vibration, you think?

I am going to weld up the frame rail, grind it smooth, then weld in the cage nuts that tore out, the reinstall the bracket and weld the bracket in again. I think the shop only welded the outside of the bracket. I will tack it outside and inside, then put a bead around the entire bracket. Crazy! Should take care of my problem now.

I had a bronze bushing in the drop backet and it was cracked to the oint a couple pieces dropped out in my hand. Hey, I learned a dissasembly trick, however. When disconnecting the hoses that go from the control valve to the cylinder, I disconnected one end of each hose, one hose disconnected at the cylinder, one hose disconnected at the control valve. Now I will not get them mixed up when installing on the new parts.

Sure glad I did not drive the stang to Yosemite. The steering bracket would have broken for sure andI would have gone of a cliff. Not a great way to end a weekend.

I''ll write all the good news once the installation, repair is complete. :D

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Ford didnt do a very good job of installing those nuts to begin with....

Im glad Cleveland headers dont usually need the drop bracket.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts