Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I found a couple of different threads about steering quick releases on these forums, and a handful on the other Mustang forums as well. It seems there are three basic types; weld-on, bolt-on to a hub adapter, and direct bolt-on. I am trying to get some more information on what is available for our cars, and what the general perception of quality is for the various options.

I’m trying to keep the majority of my Mustang mods “reversible”, so I’d like to avoid anything that requires you to weld onto the steering shaft.The direct bolt-ons seem to be the Cobra Automotive unit, and the Grant. I’m unsure if the Grant unit allows you to retain the steering wheel mounted horn button, while I am sure that the Cobra Automotive piece does NOT. I would like to keep the horn if at all possible. Does anybody have any detail or install pics of either of these units?

Generally, I am tentative to install anything Grant on my cars, though it seems maybe that’s an unfair impression of their product quality. After all, I recently read that Momo recalled a bunch of their quick release hubs because they were coming off without the driver hitting the release mechanism. The Momo units were supposedly being manufactured by Joe’s racing in the USA (another known quality brand), so that really shakes my whole understanding of which way to go on this whole deal.

Anybody have any recommendations?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I used NRG products. It has been a few years and I forget the details, but I had some difficulty getting the right combination of parts. I ended up with the wheel in the stock location and the horn button works,

·
Registered
226 Posts
I used NRG on my 67 cougar. I used part numbers SRK-172H, short hub adapter, and SRK-250BKC, 2.5 quick release. It was a bolt-in affair. My brother also installed one on his 66 mustang, but he used a flaming river tilt column that has a GM spline count. Although the picture does not show a horn button because of the wheel I chose, it does have horn capabilities. I use Sparco PN 015NE982 for my horn button, but you can use different steering wheels that has a center horn button.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’ve only used the weld on from Sweet Engineering but they also have some bolt on.

Thanks for the lead, Dave. I think the Sweet bolt-ons are all for their specific steering columns, but I’m going to have to call to find out. By the way, I really dig your website.

I used NRG on my 67 cougar. I used part numbers SRK-172H, short hub adapter, and SRK-250BKC, 2.5 quick release. It was a bolt-in affair. My brother also installed one on his 66 mustang, but he used a flaming river tilt column that has a GM spline count. Although the picture does not show a horn button because of the wheel I chose, it does have horn capabilities. I use Sparco PN 015NE982 for my horn button, but you can use different steering wheels that has a center horn button.
View attachment 738968

View attachment 738969
Hey Robert, I kind of discounted the NRG pieces because I was under the impression that they were a low-quality Chinese knock-off brand, but after checking out your build thread and the kind of work you do, I see that you’re the type of person who’s opinion could probably be trusted. What do you think of it? Is it nice and tight? Does the mechanism seem safe?
Thanks!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Hey Robert, I kind of discounted the NRG pieces because I was under the impression that they were a low-quality Chinese knock-off brand, but after checking out your build thread and the kind of work you do, I see that you’re the type of person who’s opinion could probably be trusted. What do you think of it? Is it nice and tight? Does the mechanism seem safe?
Thanks!
From my experience, the QR has been great. My brother daily drives his mustang and is constantly removing his steering wheel. When I take his car for a drive, which is often, the steering wheel is always tight and solid. And I too take the wheel off for security reasons when I drive it. I haven't had a chance to really abuse the system on my car as I'm still building it. Another member here, @sirhk100, has been using it in the off-road world with success.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts