Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a borgeson power steering set up installed in my 65 mustang 2 years ago. Yesterday when backing the car into the shop the entire steering shaft with the steering wheel attached came out and I lost the ability to steer obviously.Thankfully I was driving quite slow and at the shop. Eventually pushed the car into the shop and started poking around to see what happen. The set screw(I guess thats what its called) that secures the splined steering shaft into the rag joint had come loose as well the "safety" nut that secures the set screw. Both loosened and allowed the steering shaft to release.

Anyone else had this issue and what is the remedy to fix this so it does not happen again. VERY concerning.

I have attached a picture of the set screw and the nut, hopefully it can be seen in the picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Just using a set-screw with a jam nut on a even a D-shape steering shaft is a horrible idea, as you found out. There's a reason every OEM splined shaft has the clamp bolt go through a notch in the shaft for positive/secondary retention. You can improve D-shaft retention by drilling a recess to receive the set-screw so it doesn't slip, but that still doesn't give you redundancy if the screw loosens.

Hopefully it has 2 set-screws /

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Holy COW! When I was replacing the steering unit for my F150 I noticed that the rag joint was just about to fall to pieces. I was really aggravated having to replace the steering box but this was a silver lining because if the rag joint fails is notta good thing.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
True, but factory rag joints have those backup "pins", so theoretically you won't lose steering.

·
Registered
36,338 Posts
Of course the factory "rag joint" clamps feature a groove in the shafts, even if the bolt loosens the joint cannot slide off the shaft unless the bolt actually falls off the car. Very safe.

Reactions: rpm

·
Registered
166 Posts
Ironically I was on the way to my alignment shop when my steering felt looser than normal. In checking I had one bolt come out of the factory rag joint. The other bolt held as well as the two pins. Of course not as bad as the OP but still disconcerting.

As an aside, on a different car I had driven all over town, stopping at several red lights and lastly pulled-up to a store's front doors. From there on my way home I lost my brakes with a single master cylinder and coasted to a stop out on a country road. Never drove it again until I replaced it with a dual master cylinder. Just a thought.

I think these count as one of my nine lives, not two. But then there was this other situation..........

·
Registered
113 Posts
The factory rag joint has the backup pins because it is a critical safety item that has to have redundancy. As the Flaming river video explicitly states, the aftermarket shaft has to be dimpled for the screws and the screws+jam nuts need to have red thread locker. I'd be inclined to safety wire something like this.

Reactions: rpm

·
Registered
36,338 Posts
A groove for the lock bolt, plus safety wire to prevent the bolt unscrewing is the only real safe answer.

·
Registered
73 Posts
A set screw for the steering column, and a single pot master cylinder..."living on the edge". BTW, is that thread sealing tape on the brake fitting...just say'n.

·
Registered
1966 mustang coupe
278 Posts
I had a borgeson power steering set up installed in my 65 mustang 2 years ago. Yesterday when backing the car into the shop the entire steering shaft with the steering wheel attached came out and I lost the ability to steer obviously.Thankfully I was driving quite slow and at the shop. Eventually pushed the car into the shop and started poking around to see what happen. The set screw(I guess thats what its called) that secures the splined steering shaft into the rag joint had come loose as well the "safety" nut that secures the set screw. Both loosened and allowed the steering shaft to release.

Anyone else had this issue and what is the remedy to fix this so it does not happen again. VERY concerning.

I have attached a picture of the set screw and the nut, hopefully it can be seen in the picture.
Oh ****!

Ill take a look at mine right now since i have the same setup...

·
Registered
37,432 Posts
I think I'd be running a drill bit down that hole into the steering column shaft.... about 1/2 inch should do it....and replacing the "set screw" with a longer bolt, with the end beveled to match the drilled hole, and the head drilled for safety wire.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Note to self... don't pull on steering wheel.

Holy cr*p!

·
Registered
206 Posts
When I did my Borgeson conversion I used a bearing from Mustang Steve to support and hold the end of the steering column. I also used a u joint instead of the supplied rag joint after reading about failures like this. Works great for me so far.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Another easy fix is to drill 1/8 hole through the shaft and coupler and drive a roll pin through then safety wire through the pin. Alternatively you can drill, drive a solid pin through and button weld the pin in place.

·
Registered
1966 mustang coupe
278 Posts
Me too,not sure how this stuff got to the popularity it did .
I had nothing bad to say about mine until this thread came out honestly....

It came with my car when i bought it and it works great.

But yeah now i am concerned and will look at modifying this thing....

·
Registered
797 Posts
With any new product there are bound to be failures. Much like the o rings on the Challenger booster rockets that NASA had been warned might fail under certain conditions. Only in this case on a much smaller scale.

I guess when it warms up and I weld the o2 bung in my 67 I'll check the ones on mine.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts