Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
36,378 Posts
Folks I know engineer a bearing into the lower end of the steering column. Firms of the "feel" of steering. Borgeson is aware of their modification, but cannot be bothered to do it.

·
Registered
9,882 Posts
When I do mine I was going to tig weld the universal joint to the shaft. Problem fixed..
Exactly. That is the "no liability" method.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

·
Registered
233 Posts
When I did my Borgeson conversion I used a bearing from Mustang Steve to support and hold the end of the steering column. I also used a u joint instead of the supplied rag joint after reading about failures like this. Works great for me so far.

Which U-joint did you go with? The Borgeson universal?

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Here is your solution!

I got rid of the rag by welding a knuckle I salvaged from my Equinox shaft that went on the spline of the rack directly to the rag fitting that clamps to the splines on the steering box. For steering you want a failsafe system and allen screws are a bogus answer. Design every one out! It just makes good for engineering! This is a proper steering connector...

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
With any new product there are bound to be failures. Much like the o rings on the Challenger booster rockets that NASA had been warned might fail under certain conditions. Only in this case on a much smaller scale.

I guess when it warms up and I weld the o2 bung in my 67 I'll check the ones on mine.
It's not a new product. Borgeson has been selling these for at least 20 years now. Also, Ford first introduced modern Saginaw integral power steering on full-sized 1965 Fords. It's been rumored that a new CEO came from GM and that's why Mustang got it in 1971. But Ford was already using integral steering on bigger cars and trucks. Designing steering systems where the steering wheel can't pull out without warning goes back to the invention of steering.

I used to have a 1978 Honda Civic that had a nut on the steering wheel that wouldn't stay tight. It would loosen rather quickly. All I had to do was finger tighten it every few minutes while driving.
http://www.borgeson.com/Images/09Catalog.pdf

·
Registered
835 Posts
It's not a new product. Borgeson has been selling these for at least 20 years now. Also, Ford first introduced modern Saginaw integral power steering on full-sized 1965 Fords. It's been rumored that a new CEO came from GM and that's why Mustang got it in 1971. But Ford was already using integral steering on bigger cars and trucks. Designing steering systems where the steering wheel can't pull out without warning goes back to the invention of steering.

I used to have a 1978 Honda Civic that had a nut on the steering wheel that wouldn't stay tight. It would loosen rather quickly. All I had to do was finger tighten it every few minutes while driving.
http://www.borgeson.com/Images/09Catalog.pdf
Nothing wrong with that as long as you did'nt forget or if you loaned it out and the borrower did'nt forget.

·
Registered
968 Posts
To confirm.... my '66 with manual steering would not have a rag joint, correct? Car has been in paint forever and I can't remember.
Correct. '65/'66 are a full shaft, integrated into the steering box.

Reactions: xcelr8

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Ironically I was on the way to my alignment shop when my steering felt looser than normal. In checking I had one bolt come out of the factory rag joint. The other bolt held as well as the two pins. Of course not as bad as the OP but still disconcerting.

As an aside, on a different car I had driven all over town, stopping at several red lights and lastly pulled-up to a store's front doors. From there on my way home I lost my brakes with a single master cylinder and coasted to a stop out on a country road. Never drove it again until I replaced it with a dual master cylinder. Just a thought.

I think these count as one of my nine lives, not two. But then there was this other situation..........
I had a wheel cylinder fail on a 1965 ranchero in 1999 I was driving in town coming up to a stop light. My light was red. The crossing traffic was in full flow. I had to whip the car through the gas station parking lot and run it up on a really high curb to stop. Bent the heck out of the passenger side lower control arm. But I managed not to hit anybody else.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Had my steering shaft pull out whilst driving. Fortunately I was going real slow in traffic. Managed to push it back in (in a different position) and pull over. Never forgot to tighten the steering bolt again in that VW.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I don't know the part number but it was made by Borgeson and I bought it at Summit Racing.
I asked Borgeson a while ago about a u-joint to replace the rag joint I got with the kit. I was/am having a lot of rag joint flex but I'm going to try Mustang Steve's lower shaft bearing first. I didn't go with the u-joint immediately because apparently you'll feel a lot of road vibrations in the steering wheel.

The part number Borgeson gave me was 013425. Let us know how it works out for you if you go with the u-joint.

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
Scary for sure. Better put Loctite Red on that retaining bolt and consider one of the other methods to secure it as well. Just one more reason I’ll stick with the Ford steering

Reactions: rpm
21 - 33 of 33 Posts