Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1966 Mustang GT Fastback 289 4BBL
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I've been working on my 66 fastback gt for some time now and I am at the point that I can justify getting a new steering wheel. Right now it is some kind of wood grain wrapped in black rubber. The car itself is basically all stock, so I'd like to keep that going. It is the standard interior in black. Was a wood grain wheel stock? Was there a black wheel? Before I spend almost $400 on a new wheel, I'd like some opinions of what maybe others have done. I've included a few pictures of what I've got now and what I'm looking at buying. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,181 Posts
It appears you've got the correct wheel for your car, likely original, although the simulated wood grain has done wore just about clean off. Either that, or it was an upgrade from standard somewhere along the way. Someone obviously covered it with one of those aftermarket steering wheel covers that seemed to be everywhere back in the day. That's the deluxe wheel. You might want to shop around a bit. If all you need is the simulated wood grain wheel itself you can get an exact replica of just that part alone at Jegs (part #204-C5ZZ-3600-N) for about $170 less than that kit from CJ's. That was not the base standard wheel though, and yes, the standard wheel was available in black, and other colors too depending on interior trim. Here's a red one, but if I were you I'd pitch black (pun intended) and get the replacement deluxe wheel proper for your car. (y)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice and thanks for sending that part number, I like to save where I can. I am debating getting the horn stuff too. My horn is SUPER sensitive and if you just barely bump it, it honks. Kind of annoying without power steering. Does anyone else have that problem? Maybe there is an adjustment? As far as the wood grain vs black, when I was restoring the car, the original owner had put a faux wood grain on the gauge cluster and glove box. It looked alright, but I am now wondering if they didn't replace the wheel when they did that? I attached a photo so you can see what the old dash looked like. I replaced that with a standard black dash as you can see in my original post.

It appears you've got the correct wheel for your car, likely original, although the simulated wood grain has done wore just about clean off. Either that, or it was an upgrade from standard somewhere along the way. Someone obviously covered it with one of those aftermarket steering wheel covers that seemed to be everywhere back in the day. That's the deluxe wheel. You might want to shop around a bit. If all you need is the simulated wood grain wheel itself you can get an exact replica of just that part alone at Jegs (part #204-C5ZZ-3600-N) for about $170 less than that kit from CJ's. That was not the base standard wheel though, and yes, the standard wheel was available in black, and other colors too depending on interior trim. Here's a red one, but if I were you I'd pitch black (pun intended) and get the replacement deluxe wheel proper for your car. (y)
View attachment 756970

·
Dimples
4,356 Posts
Yeah, that's already a good wheel, it’d be a shame to ditch it. They are totally restorable. I did one for a friend last year and took a WRECKED original wheel and brought it back to life. It wasn’t that technically difficult and I’m surely no expert. Some epoxy putty to fill cracks, sand paper and rattle cans.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, you really brought that back! Mine is also cracked and has gaps also. What type of epoxy did you use?

Yeah, that's already a good wheel, it’d be a shame to ditch it. They are totally restorable. I did one for a friend last year and took a WRECKED original wheel and brought it back to life. It wasn’t that technically difficult and I’m surely no expert. Some epoxy putty to fill cracks, sand paper and rattle cans.

View attachment 757003
View attachment 757004

·
Registered
35,272 Posts
You have the optional wood-grained steering wheel that came with the Deluxe Interior Group (which you do not have). Your original wheel would have been the solid color type (in black to match your interior) as pictured in 4ocious' photo showing one in red. The "Deluxe" wheel could have been ordered "over-the-counter" at the dealer's parts department and is an easy install and many stock wheels were replaced with this one.

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
I used a generic body fill that I had on hand to build up in the cracks. I must have 4-5 spray ons and that many more custom mixed Testors colors, still not 100% pleased...and of course diamonds and a Ruby top center mark :)

If you get one of the real leather covers and spend a few hours sewing and stretching it on right it can look great.

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I figured that the previous owner did put the deluxe wheel after the fact. I think I will try to repair or replace with the wood grain anyway just because all of my horn hardware will work with it and also because it is so close to how it probably rolled off the dealer lot.
You have the optional wood-grained steering wheel that came with the Deluxe Interior Group (which you do not have). Your original wheel would have been the solid color type (in black to match your interior) as pictured in 4ocious' photo showing one in red. The "Deluxe" wheel could have been ordered "over-the-counter" at the dealer's parts department and is an easy install and many stock wheels were replaced with this one.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Woodchuck : You are correct that the Woodgrain Steering Wheel came with the Interior Decor Group in 1966, as well as being abler to purchase from the Parts Department. However, beginning in 1966, the Woodgrain Steering Wheel was also available as a "stand alone" Factory Option for $31.52 (see attached copy of 1966 Salesman's Price Booklet), which was considerably less than the Parts Counter Price of $60.35.

Bob
Scan0010.jpg

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Woodchuck : You are correct that the Woodgrain Steering Wheel came with the Interior Decor Group in 1966, as well as being abler to purchase from the Parts Department. However, beginning in 1966, the Woodgrain Steering Wheel was also available as a "stand alone" Factory Option for $31.52 (see attached copy of 1966 Salesman's Price Booklet), which was considerably less than the Parts Counter Price of $60.35.

Bob View attachment 757058
Well, that settles my thoughts on whether I should stick with it. If 9t was a factory option stand alone, im good. Thanks!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts