Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, could someone help me with this problem? I'm trying to put a new trim ring on the little center pad of my steering wheel. And man, this thing does not want to go easily. I've included pictures to help explain things. But the ring is just suppose to sit in this little recess in the pad which you will see in the picture. Could you please tell me how to get it down into the recess?

The first picture shows you the pad next to the ring so you know what you're lookin for. The second picture shows how far the ring goes down before it stops and you can't really take it any further. As you can imagine, it's plastic, and I don't want to break it.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=13684
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=13685

·
Premium Member
5,145 Posts
What he said, soap it up. Also helps if the center pad is warm...makes it more pliable.
Dave

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Another idea might be to put the center pad in the freezer and the trim ring in the oven and heat it up to about 120 to 140 so it expands a little and cooling the pad off might shrink it. It might be worth a try if nothing else works.
Al

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just soaked it in hot water and then soaped it and tried putting it on there, no luck.

I will try to rubber mallet suggestion tomorrow, but I'm not sure how well it work, it's pretty stubborn. I'm a pretty good size guy, and I can't get that thing on there.

The other night, my dad and I ran it under warm water and then he pushed down on one side while I pushed down on the other, no luck there.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Try WD 40. I've done several over the years without breaking the ring. Do be patient as you slowly work the ring down over the pad however.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How did you do it? It's late now so I'll try tomorrow, but this thing gets EXTREMELY hard, it's nuts.

Do I need to pull the center emblem out to put the ring on?

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
i used armour all on the pad and it went on gradually but took lots of pressure,do it first thing in the morning when you arent tired. wes, i wouldnt use a rubber mallet either.

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
Some advice to a newbie, too: include the year of the car you're referring to in the subject line of your post. You'll no doubt get a lot more "hits" by people with the same car, or at least knowledge of it!
Anyway, welcome aboard, and best of luck with the ring; unfortunately, you'll probably be finding a lot more parts with similar problems if you haven't figured that out already!

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh no no no, I'm not a newbie, maybe to this forum, but certainly not to cars. I've been restoring this Mustang for about 4 years and working on cars my whole life.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Come on guys, seriously, how'd youm do this? :p Me and my dad just tried puttin that trim ring on with it soaked in WD40, and no luck. And believe me, we're both 2 very strong guys. I'm 260 pounds and he's 220, we're no wimps, and this thing is kickin our rears(I wish we could cuss here!).

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK guys, we finally got it. My dad went downstairs, put one side of the ring in the recess, and lubed the other side up with vaseline(spelling?). Then he put a towel(as not to scratch) over the trim ring and used a bench vise to press it into place. Yes, that is how much effort it took to put that ring in!!! I had less trouble rebuilding my motor and tranny COMBINED!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just did one over the weekend for a friend.
Heated the pad to get the foam a little more pliable.
Used soap and water to add some lube and then worked it on like a tire on a rim. It does get tough, I used the edge of my work bench, protect the ring with a towel on the work bench, put pressure down on the pad with the ring against the bench and it slowly works down and pops into place. Worked for me.
Good Luck!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts