Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 68 coupe with manual steering. The box, etc. was recently rebuilt with all new components. I'm not sure if it's normal for non PS cars, but when I turn the steering wheel, I hear a creaking noise coming from the upper column. I recently replaced the upper column bearing which seems to make the noise less, but not gone. I also greased the contact wheel for the horn under the wheel.

I'm told this is common for non-PS cars, but I would really like to figure out where the noise is coming from and why.

This is a video taken before the bearing was replaced. Any ideas?

·
Registered
678 Posts
I've got manual steering, and the creak is probably coming from the bearing at the top of the steering column.
The steering box is on the other side of the firewall, so I doubt if that's it.
If you remove the steering wheel, there's a spring on the shaft and then there's the nylon bearing.
The lube has probably dried up, if it had any on it.
Lube it up and see if it goes away.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've got manual steering, and the creak is probably coming from the bearing at the top of the steering column.
The steering box is on the other side of the firewall, so I doubt if that's it.
If you remove the steering wheel, there's a spring on the shaft and then there's the nylon bearing.
The lube has probably dried up, if it had any on it.
Lube it up and see if it goes away.
Thx. I did put a new bearing in. The new one had grease on it so I never thought to add more. The strange part is the wheel was initially quiet for the first 10 or so times rocking the steering wheel then the noise came back. The bearing obviously needs to be tight on the shaft but maybe I should have added more grease?

·
Registered
678 Posts
It might need a little more grease, and then it might go away once the bearing gets worn in.
I can't really hear any noise from mine when the engine's running. :)

·
Registered
35,869 Posts
Try a bit of grease on the top and bottom of the spring.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Try a bit of grease on the top and bottom of the spring.
I don't think the 68 with fixed column had a spring? I looked at the shop manual and nothing is shown for the fixed. If I need a spring, that might be my problem?

·
Registered
35,869 Posts
I don't think the 68 with fixed column had a spring? I looked at the shop manual and nothing is shown for the fixed. If I need a spring, that might be my problem?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts