Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a search, didnt really come up with anything. Want to replace my existing wheel with something more conforming and controllable for autocross. My current wood wheel looks good, but its [email protected] on your hands on a hot summer day, throwing the car around on a autocross course. I loved my SRT wheel, soft leather that was very comfortable and easy to grip, and cool in the summer sun. I'd like to find something similar for my 66 without spending $500+. Any ideas or manufacturers would be helpful.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'm a big fan of of the Driven steering wheels. They are much cheaper than other high end suede wheels like Momo or Sparco but IMO just as good of quality. $160 vs $300+ My first wheel has been on my Camaro for 3 years, over 20k street miles, and hundreds of autocross and road course laps.

So when I bought my Mustang I bought a Driven wheel for it too. Before getting my first suede wheel I had a Grant wheel with vinyl/leather grip and when autocossing I still wore gloves a fair amount. If my hands got even slightly sweaty I'd have trouble gripping the Grant. Haven't used gloves in years because the feeling and grip on the Driven suede wheel is awesome.

The only downsides are it's a suede wheel and you have to work harder to keep it clean and I've occasionally removed mine and washed it with soap and water to get the dirt and sweat out of it. And it has "Driven" embroidered on the wheel.

One other benefit is the smaller diameter. I like a smaller diameter wheel for autocross as it speeds up inputs and makes it a lot easier to handle fast transitions and slaloms.

I use the deep dish wheel. Here is a link. Driven Racing Steering Wheels | Winding Road Racing

·
Premium Member
3,371 Posts
Somebody should machine an adapter for later model Ford wheels to fit the vintage Mustang and Ford shafts then just dummy the airbag pouch.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I run a 79 Mustang GT (or RS I think back then) wheel 13 7/8 in'. Autocross with power steering something around 13" is about right. some go as small as 11.5 making it a little easier to go crossed arms.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts