Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like security is a hot topic lately...and with spring/summer coming around, it'll probably get more attention. Quick question - what is everyone's opinion about a steering wheel lock (like the club)? I saw one at PartsAmerica that had two hooks on each side for the steering wheel so it would take more than one cut to get this off (supposedly)...any opinions?? Guy(NH)

'69 Mustang Grande
351W - 2v - FMX

·
Registered
727 Posts
Unfortunately, those things are only good enough to scare an amateur car thief away. One or two quick cuts with a hacksaw through the steering wheel and that thing is off.

Your best bet would probably be an alarm system with a battery backup and a starter cutout. I'm sure you'll get some more opinions.

Good luck.

G

·
0 Posts
If youre lookin for something quick and easy. I was thinkin' about adding a kill switch inline with the ignition - hidden under the dash. A real professional would be able to get around this, but a real professional would be able to get around anything (or just tow the thing away).

Mike
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I have a club that attaches to the brake pedal, but I only expect it to provide minimal protection. I am working on a transmission lever interlock like the late model cars use, only with a hidden method of release. I also have a nice alarm system with several kill switches and good insurance.

Since these cars are so easy to hotwire the kill switches only help so much, I am also looking into a fuel supply shut off valve of some sort.

Jason
Formerly Bluestangcom
"Got gas?"
Vintage Burgundy'66 Conv. 289 & C4. GT-ized
Strawberry/Silver '91GT
Rust/Red/Turquoise '67 coupe - Parting Out
Guards Red 2000 Porsche Boxster

http://www.bluestang.com

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
EXACTLY... I have always put alarms on my stereo cars, but that is just to keep away stereo thevin' punks. I could always break into my own cars and disable the alarm in a matter of seconds (had to do it pretty often, bad habit about locking the keys in it). A pro will get through whatever security you have, unless you go really crazy and start carrying your distributor as a key chain or something, lol.
PS-on my stereo car I have a big flashy alarm, but on the 'stang I have a good old ignition kill switch, and if I'm thinking about it, I'll take the coil wire w/ me too.

-Jason

'72 Mach 1 || '90 Talon TSi AWD
http://nosaj122081.tripod.com/parade3.jpg
"Thats not a leak, my car's marking its territory!"
"If you've done it, it ain't braggin'." -Roy Rogers

·
Premium Member
19,191 Posts
Anyone with a flatbed tow truck can steal any car, any time.

As stated in the old VMF, I remove my gas tank every time I park it away from the house...it's a little awkward, but it does solve the drive-away theft problem.

http://clubs.hemmings.com/baymustang/platesmall.jpgLet me check your shorts! My multimeter is just a-waiting! Formerly known as Midlife in the old VMF.
King of the Old Farts *struts*

G

·
0 Posts
I use a lock made by Kryptonite (the bicycle lock people), it has the full loops at each end. It looks a little bit more robust than the Club and didn't cost any more, same color too.

Ollie

1 - 7 of 7 Posts